Quad comparator not comparing

• Thread starter faraznizamani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparator
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a quad comparator IC (LM339N) where the output remains the same despite changes in the inputs. The individual asks for help and provides a link to a datasheet for the device. The conversation then suggests checking for a pull-up resistor, respecting the common-mode input voltage range, and ensuring all connections are correct. If the problem persists, it may be due to a defective IC.
faraznizamani
Hello,

Im having problems with my circuit, I am using a quad comparator IC (LM339N) but for some reason the output its generating does not seem to change with either changing inverting or non inverting inputs.

I mean, the output, remains same even when the non inverting input (+) is less than, inverting one.

the reference voltage, is inverting one, which I have grounded(also pin12 grounded with it), and with supplying VCC to +ve one(non inverting) , and to Pin 3 of the LM339.

Please Help !

Faraz Nizamani

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a link to a datasheet for this device: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM139.pdf

Now here are a few things to check:

This device is open-collector, so that it needs a pull-up resistor at the output: have you fitted one?

The common-mode input voltage range has limits 0V to V+ -1.5V: are you respecting that? Possibly not if your reference voltage is 0V; it may be preferable to have a positive reference voltage.

Check all the other connections, and if the IC is in a socket be sure that all pins have seated correctly.

Finally, if all else fails perhaps you have a defective IC. Try another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the LM339 has a open collector output. Try putting a 3kohm pull-up resistor on it. Take a look at the datasheet:"www.national.com/ds/LM/LM339.pdf"[/URL]

Oops. Adjuster beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is my quad comparator not comparing?

There could be several reasons why your quad comparator is not comparing. Some possible explanations include incorrect wiring or connections, a malfunctioning or damaged comparator, or incorrect input voltages.

2. How do I troubleshoot a quad comparator that is not comparing?

To troubleshoot a quad comparator that is not comparing, you should first check the wiring and connections to ensure they are correct. Next, check the input voltages to make sure they are within the operating range of the comparator. If the connections and voltages are correct, you may need to replace the comparator or consult a datasheet for further troubleshooting steps.

3. Can a quad comparator be damaged if the input voltages exceed the maximum rating?

Yes, if the input voltages exceed the maximum rating of the quad comparator, it can cause damage to the device. It is important to ensure that the input voltages are within the specified range to prevent damage to the comparator.

4. Can a quad comparator compare multiple signals simultaneously?

Yes, a quad comparator is designed to compare multiple signals simultaneously. It has four separate comparators within the same package, allowing for multiple comparisons to be made at once.

5. How do I know if my quad comparator is functioning correctly?

To determine if your quad comparator is functioning correctly, you can perform a simple test using known input voltages and observing the output. You can also compare the results with the expected output based on the comparator's specifications. If there are discrepancies, it may indicate a malfunctioning comparator.