An integral in Srednicki's book

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Srednicki's book for studying QFT and two specific points that are unclear. The first point is about proving an integral in equation 14.27 and the second point is about using a factor instead of a sharp momentum cutoff in the integration of Feynman propagator. A manuscript on QFT that provides useful techniques is recommended and the use of form factors to maintain Lorentz invariance is explained. The conversation ends with a mention of the angular and radial parts of the integral, which can be looked up.
nklohit
Hi all, I have just started to study QFT myself with Srednicki's book but there are some points that aren't clear to me.
First, I search for the proof of the integral in eq. 14.27
[tex] \int \frac{d^{d}\bar{q}}{(2\pi)^d} \frac{(\bar{q}^2)^a}{(\bar{q}^2+D)^b} = \frac{\Gamma(b-a-\frac{d}{2})\Gamma(a+\frac{d}{2})}{(4\pi)^{d/2}\Gamma(b)\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})} [/tex]
but find nothing about it. Can anyone give a hint how to prove it?

Second, I'm very confusing that instead of putting the cut-off into the integration of feynman propagator, he use the factor [tex] (\frac{\Lambda^2}{k^2+\Lambda^2 -i\epsilon})[/tex] . Are there any reasons to do that?

Thank you for every answer :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried to put together all these techniques in my qft manuscript (but I don't use cutoff renormalization in there very much since I don't like it too much :-)):

http://theorie.physik.uni-giessen.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

About the Gamma function and its use in dimensional regularization for the evaluation of Feynman diagrams (loop integrals) you find there from page 143 on.

Concerning your 2nd question: Instead of introducing a sharp momentum cutoff by multiplying the whole integrand with such a factor, is a clever method since a sharp cutoff destroys nearly all nice symmetries as Lorentz invariance etc. This makes it more difficult to deal with the infinities afterwards and then letting the cutoff going to infinity for the renormlized quantities. If you introduce Lorentz-invariant form factors instead (this can be even physical if you deal with extended objects like atomic nuclei or hadrons instead of elementary "pointlike" particles), you avoid a lot of problems, which you would introduce with a sharp cutoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much :) Your manuscript will be very useful for me.
Do I understand right that by introducing that cutoff factor is to maintain the Lorentz invarince manipulation? And it appears in this form because the asymptotic properties that it become 1 when the [tex] \Lambda [/tex] goes to infinity?

Yes, that's what's behind a "form factor".

The angular part is done elsewhere in the book. The radial part is a standard integral that you can look up.

1. What is an integral in Srednicki's book?

An integral in Srednicki's book refers to a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve or the volume of a solid in a given region. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in physics and other scientific fields.

2. How is an integral used in physics?

In physics, integrals are used to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and energy. They are also commonly used to solve differential equations and to analyze the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are the different types of integrals in Srednicki's book?

Srednicki's book covers both definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a family of functions.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integrals in Srednicki's book?

In Srednicki's book, common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. These techniques are used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate the integral.

5. Are there any applications of integrals in other fields besides physics?

Yes, integrals have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, economics, biology, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, from the growth of populations to the behavior of financial markets.