Path integral and partition function

In summary, the three equations mentioned in this conversation, (1), (2), and (3), all involve functional integrals over fields and are all related to each other through different initial states. (2) and (3) are equivalent, while (1) is a special case of (2) with a specific initial state.
kof9595995
I have some confusions identifying the following objects:
(1)Some transition amplitude involving time evolution(Peskin page 281, eqn 9.14):
[tex]\langle\phi_b(\mathbf x)|e^{-iHT}|\phi_a(\mathbf x)\rangle=\int{\cal D\phi \;exp[i\int d^4x\cal L]}[/tex]
(2)Partition function(after wick rotation)
[tex]Z_0=Tr(e^{-\beta H})=\int{\cal D\phi \;exp[i\int d^4x\cal L]}[/tex]
(3)Functional determinant(Klein-Gordon for example, Peskin page 287, eqn 9.25)
[tex]const\times [det(\partial^2+m^2)]^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\int{\cal D\phi \;exp[i\int d^4x\cal L]}[/tex]
All three appear in chap 9 of Peskin's textbook. though (2) is not explicitly written.
I can convince myself (2) and (3) are the same, but have trouble with (1). To make LHS of (1) the same with LHS of (2), shouldn't we impose periodic boundary condition on (1) and integrate over all initial states? That is,
[tex]\int{\cal D}\phi_a\langle\phi_a(\mathbf x)|e^{-iHT}|\phi_a(\mathbf x)\rangle=\int{\cal D}\phi_a\int{\cal D\phi \;exp[i\int d^4x\cal L]}[/tex]
But then the RHS of (1) and (2) become different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the right-hand sides of (1) and (2) are still the same. The left-hand side of (1) is just a special case of the left-hand side of (2), where the initial state is a single wavefunction, rather than a linear combination of many wavefunctions. In this case, the integration over all possible initial states can be simplified to a single integration over the initial wavefunction.

What is the path integral in physics?

The path integral is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability of a particle or system following a particular path in space and time. It is based on the principle of least action and is used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and other fields of physics.

How is the path integral related to the partition function?

The partition function is a mathematical concept that describes the statistical properties of a physical system. It is directly related to the path integral through a mathematical transformation, known as the Laplace transform. The partition function can be calculated by evaluating the path integral for all possible paths of a system and summing them together.

What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its energy, entropy, and free energy. It is also used to determine the equilibrium state of a system and predict how it will respond to changes in its environment.

How is the path integral used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the path integral is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another in space and time. It is also used to calculate the Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. The path integral approach is an essential tool for calculating physical quantities and making predictions in quantum field theory.

Can the path integral and partition function be applied to complex systems?

Yes, the path integral and partition function can be applied to a wide range of complex systems, including those with many interacting particles or systems with complex potentials. However, the calculations can become increasingly challenging for more complex systems, and different approximations and techniques may be required to solve them.