Magnetic Dipole Moment of a Surface Current Loop

In summary, the magnetic dipole moment for a current loop is defined by i \int d\vec{a}. To find the magnetic dipole moment for a given surface current 'K', one can use the multipole expansion of the magnetic vector potential and separate it into terms dependent on current distribution and the point where the potential is being calculated. However, for a general surface current distribution or a volume current distribution, it may be more complicated to find the magnetic dipole moment.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For a current loop, the magnetic dipole moment is defined as [tex]i \int d\vec{a}[/tex]

Now, if I'm given a surface current 'K', how can I find the magnetic dipole moment? For example, if a disc of surface charge [itex] \sigma [/tex] is rotating with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/tex], what is it's magnetic dipole moment?

I thought about taking the dipole term from the multipole expansion of the magnetic vector potential, and then trying to separate it into something dependent on current distribution, and something dependent on the point where I'm trying to find the potential, could lead to an expression for m. But I'm getting nowhere that way.

So, is it possible to get a term for m in terms of K (and maybe r' ?) ,analogous to a closed current loop?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qv = iL = j HW L . For a disk that's rotating, each dQ moves around a ring
with velocity v = omega x r. just add them up.

lightgrav said:
Qv = iL = j HW L . For a disk that's rotating, each dQ moves around a ring
with velocity v = omega x r. just add them up.

Yeah, that would work in this case. Thanks.

But for a general surface current distribution K(r') is there a way to find the magnetic dipole moment 'm'? For that matter, what if there is a volume current distribution J(r') ?

1. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic dipole, which is a magnetic field created by a pair of poles with opposite polarities.

2. How is the magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop can be calculated by multiplying the current in the loop by the area enclosed by the loop and the number of turns in the loop. The direction of the magnetic dipole moment is perpendicular to the plane of the loop.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop?

The magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop is important because it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced by the loop. It is also used in many applications, such as in electromagnets and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. How does changing the current or area of a surface current loop affect its magnetic dipole moment?

Increasing the current or the area of a surface current loop will increase its magnetic dipole moment, while decreasing either of these factors will decrease the magnetic dipole moment. This relationship follows the equation: M = I * A * N, where M is the magnetic dipole moment, I is the current, A is the area, and N is the number of turns in the loop.

5. Can the magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop be changed?

Yes, the magnetic dipole moment of a surface current loop can be changed by altering the current or the area of the loop, as well as by changing the orientation of the loop. It can also be changed by introducing a magnetic material into the loop, which can increase the strength of the magnetic field produced.