Approximating Line Intersection Equation with Maple

In summary, Steven is trying to approximate the distance between two points in space. He uses Maple to solve for two possible values, Ai and Aj.
Verox
I'm having a hard time creating a tidy equation to solve this seemingly simple problem.

I have two points in standard 3D cordinate space, we'll call them C and D to be consistent with my work. The location of these points is given by (Ci,Cj,Ck) and (Di,Dj,Dk).

I then have a third point, A, given by (Ai, Aj, (Ak-x)). The distance between point C and A is equal to constC, and the distance between D and A is equal to constD.

Given C, D, constC, constD, x, and Ak, I need to solve for Ai and Aj.

Well the first thing I did was create two equations that set the magnitude of AC and AD equal to constC and constD. Using Maple to solve for Ai and Aj gives me an entire screen of numbers full of RootOf expressions. If I give Maple some real numbers for the given variables then it quickly outputs the two possible solutions for Ai and Aj, which I've verified to be correct.

Here is my Maple code.

C_i:=C_i:
Cj:=Cj:
Ck:=Ck:
Di:=Di:
Dj:=Dj:
Dk:=Dk:
Ak:=Ak:
x:=x:
constC:=constC:
constD:=constD:

solve({(sqrt((Ai-C_i)^2+(Aj-Cj)^2+((Ak+x)-Ck)^2))=constC,(sqrt((Ai-Di)^2+(Aj-Dj)^2+((Ak+x)-Dk)^2))=constD},{Ai,Aj});

I'm looking for a compact equation (that I can insert into my excel spreadsheet) that approximates Ai and Aj. I am still learning Maple and my math skills are somewhat limited. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Steven

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas? If someone could just point me in the right direction that would be great.

What type of equation would this be called? I've tried to find similar problems, but no luck.

Well, I was able to solve this equation. It ended up being a 4000+ character formula in excel. Just a bunch of brute force algebra. Works like a charm!

Related to Approximating Line Intersection Equation with Maple

1. How does Maple approximate line intersection equations?

Maple uses mathematical algorithms and formulas to analyze the given line equations and find their points of intersection.

2. Can Maple handle non-linear equations for line intersection approximation?

Yes, Maple has the capability to handle non-linear equations for line intersection approximation by using advanced numerical methods.

3. Is the line intersection approximation in Maple accurate?

Maple uses high precision calculations and advanced algorithms, making its line intersection approximation highly accurate.

4. Can I input multiple line equations for intersection approximation in Maple?

Yes, Maple allows users to input multiple line equations and generates the points of intersection for all of them.

5. How can I graphically visualize the line intersection approximation in Maple?

Maple has a built-in graphing feature that allows users to plot the given line equations and their points of intersection for a better understanding of the approximation.