How Do You Calculate the Rotational Inertia of a Hollow Cylinder?

M is the mass of the cylinder and R is the radius. The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is:I=\frac{1}{2}M(R_o^2+R_i^2)where R_o is the outer radius and R_i is the inner radius. Therefore, the moment of inertia of the pipe can be expressed as:I=\frac{1}{2}M(R_o^2+R_i^2)-\frac{1}{2}M(R_i^2)=\frac{1}{2}M(R_o^2-R_i^2)Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:I=\frac{1}{2}(2.7g/cm^3
Oomair

Homework Statement

A pipe made of aluminum with a density of 2.7 g/cm3 is a right cylinder 43 cm long whose outer diameter is 4.8 cm and whose inner diameter is 2.4 cm. What is the rotational inertia about the central axis of the pipe? Note that the rotational inertia of the thick cylinder can be expressed as the rotational inertia for a solid cylinder of radius R2 minus the rotational inertia of the solid cylinder of radius R1.

Homework Equations

D= m/v I= mr^2 for a solid cylinder volume of a cylinder = piR^2H

The Attempt at a Solution

what i basically did is find the mass of the two cylinders

D=m/v outer cylinder = 2.7g/cm^2 = m/v and inner cylinder = 2.7g/cm^2 = m/v

mass of the outer cylinder comes out to be 2100.89g and inner cylinder comes out to be 525.22g

then i put them into the moment of inertia equation I= mr^2

((2100.89g)(2.4cm)^2) - ((525.2g)(1.2cm)^2) = 11344.81 g*cm^2, then i convert it into kg*m^2 and i get .001134 kg*m^2, anything wrong I am doing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oomair,

The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder about its central axis is:

[tex]
I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2
[/tex]

Dear student,

Your approach to finding the moment of inertia is correct. However, there are a few errors in your calculations.

First, when finding the mass of the outer and inner cylinders, you should use the volume formula for a cylinder, which is V = πr^2h. So the mass of the outer cylinder should be (2.7 g/cm^3)(π(2.4 cm)^2(43 cm)) = 2031.24 g, and the mass of the inner cylinder should be (2.7 g/cm^3)(π(1.2 cm)^2(43 cm)) = 507.81 g.

Next, when plugging these values into the moment of inertia equation, you should use the radius of the entire cylinder, not just the inner or outer radius. So the moment of inertia should be ((2031.24 g)(2.4 cm)^2) - ((507.81 g)(2.4 cm)^2) = 17072.86 g*cm^2. Converting to kg*m^2, we get 0.001707 kg*m^2.

So your final answer for the rotational inertia of the pipe should be 0.001707 kg*m^2.

Hope this helps clarify your approach! Keep up the good work.

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a physical property that measures an object's resistance to rotational motion, similar to how mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand an object's behavior when it is rotating, which is crucial in fields such as mechanics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia depends on the shape and distribution of mass of the object. For simple shapes such as a point mass or a uniform rod, the formula can be derived using calculus. For more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be found by dividing the object into small, simpler elements and summing their individual moments of inertia.

3. What units is moment of inertia measured in?

Moment of inertia is measured in kg·m2 in the SI unit system. In the imperial system, it is measured in slug·ft2. Both units represent the product of mass and distance squared, which makes sense since moment of inertia is affected by both the mass and the distribution of that mass from the axis of rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how much torque is needed to cause a certain amount of angular acceleration. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to rotate at the same rate as objects with smaller moments of inertia. This is similar to how heavier objects require more force to move at the same speed as lighter objects.

5. How can moment of inertia be used in practical applications?

Moment of inertia is used in many practical applications, such as designing machines and structures that need to rotate or maintain balance. It is also important in understanding the rotation of celestial bodies such as planets and stars. In addition, moment of inertia is used in sports, such as calculating the rotation of a gymnast or a diver, and in designing vehicles such as cars and airplanes.