Can anyone help me? - Axial Stress in a thin-walled cylinder

MPaIn summary, the problem involves a cylindrical pressure vessel with closed ends, internal radius of 0.4 m, and a wall thickness of 10 mm. The vessel is subjected to a combination of internal pressure and external axial tensile force of 50 kN, applied through rigid plates at the ends. The maximum allowable internal pressure is determined to be 16.67 MPa in order to keep the tensile stress in the cylinder below 35 N/mm2.
scallopboy

Homework Statement

A cylindrical pressure vessel with closed ends, internal radius of 0.4 m and a wall
thickness of 10 mm is to be subjected to a combination of internal pressure and an
external axial tensile force of magnitude 50 kN while in service. The external axial force is
applied through rigid plates at the ends of the cylinder. Determine the maximum allowable
internal pressure if the tensile stress in the cylinder is not to exceed 35 N/mm2.

Homework Equations

Force= Pressure(internal) / (pi*r(i)^2) = Axial Stress * (2pi*r(i)*t)

r(i)= inner radius
t= wall thickness

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Force = Pressure(internal) / (pi*r(i)^2) = Axial Stress * (2pi*r(i)*t)50kN= Pressure(internal) / (pi*0.4^2) = 35N/mm2 * (2pi*0.4*0.01)Pressure(internal)= 50kN*(pi*0.4^2) / (2pi*0.4*0.01)Pressure(internal)= 16666.67 kPa

1. What is axial stress in a thin-walled cylinder?

Axial stress is the stress that occurs in the longitudinal direction of a thin-walled cylinder, which is the direction parallel to the length of the cylinder. It is caused by an external force or load acting on the cylinder.

2. How is axial stress calculated?

Axial stress can be calculated using the formula σ = F/A, where σ is the axial stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa).

3. What factors affect axial stress in a thin-walled cylinder?

The amount of axial stress in a thin-walled cylinder is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the thickness and material properties of the cylinder, and the geometry of the cylinder (such as its length and radius).

4. How can axial stress be reduced in a thin-walled cylinder?

To reduce axial stress in a thin-walled cylinder, the cylinder can be made thicker, the material can be changed to a stronger or more ductile material, the applied force can be decreased, or the geometry of the cylinder can be altered (such as increasing its length or decreasing its radius).

5. Can axial stress cause failure in a thin-walled cylinder?

Yes, if the axial stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, it can cause failure in a thin-walled cylinder. This can result in deformation or fracture of the cylinder, depending on the type of material and the level of stress applied. It is important to consider the maximum allowable axial stress when designing and using thin-walled cylinders to avoid failure.