The fate of the Universe - big rip, then big crunch?

In summary, the model suggests that the universe is expanding, but there is no force that will keep it from collapsing.
DavidGahan
I envision the Universe to be like a stellar sized star. When it expands, it explodes into a supernova, then collapses/contract into a black hole singularity. Since the Universe rate of expansion is accelerating, would it rip apart, and then contract into a singularity, just like the star?

Space news on Phys.org
Perhaps the main issue with this sort of logic is that, unlike an exploding star, current theories do not envision a sort of large "explosion" like impulse for why the universe is accelerating. It is, instead, the effect of dark energy (which can be viewed many ways, one of which is an intrinsic property of volume/space) where the "force" of the expansion is always present. So there isn't necessarily going to be a "crunch" per say because the force of the expansion will continue what is it doing continuously. The force of gravity will not increase as the universe expands.

Your model sort of relates to an idea of a de-accelerating universe, where there was a "big rip" type event (the big bang) and it will eventually contract (big crunch). This view is not supported by observations.

So, in summary, star: big impulse, no continuous force/driver for expansion, universe: continuous expansion force.

DavidGahan said:
I envision the Universe to be like a stellar sized star. When it expands, it explodes into a supernova, then collapses/contract into a black hole singularity. Since the Universe rate of expansion is accelerating, would it rip apart, and then contract into a singularity, just like the star?

This doesn't make much sense. If you spell out your reasoning more, we might be able to help you get past some confusion about the big bang and cosmological models.

n1person said:
Your model sort of relates to an idea of a de-accelerating universe, where there was a "big rip" type event (the big bang) and it will eventually contract (big crunch). This view is not supported by observations.

I think you've misspoken. The Big Rip is the hypothesized end state of a universe that undergoes 'super'-acceleration -- acceleration described by an equation of state w < -1. In this scenario, the energy density of the universe grows with time (rather than remaining constant as it does in dark energy models) with the result that there is 'run away' acceleration -- eventually on all length scales. When the density grows to the point where homogeneity is achieved even on small scales -- like solar systems, people, atoms -- even these bound structures are pulled apart by the expansion. The Big Rip is not like the Big Bang -- it is a future singularity. It also may not eventually contract, that is a model dependent statement.

With respect to observations, this view is still in agreement with the latest constraints on w and dw/dz, the variation of w wrt redshift.

I heard that many galaxies are heading toward a 'known' black hole. This might affect everything of what we think of the Universe...
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new here...

AG Systems said:
I heard that many galaxies are heading toward a 'known' black hole. This might affect everything of what we think of the Universe...
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new here...
Welcome AG Systems. Are you referring to the Great Attractor? Or perhaps the more recent discovery of the 'dark flow'? As far as I know, neither of these involve black holes; the Great Attractor is most probably a supercluster, and the cause of the 'dark flow' is currently unknown, and the finding itself is controversial. However, even if galaxies were heading towards a known black hole, I doubt this would effect everything of what we think of the universe -- which is a pretty grand statement, and since all the physics involved is quite well understood.

What is the big rip theory?

The big rip theory is a hypothesis in cosmology that suggests the expansion of the Universe will continue to accelerate until all matter and even the fabric of space itself is torn apart. This would result in the Universe being ripped apart, hence the name "big rip".

How does the big rip theory differ from the big crunch theory?

The big crunch theory proposes that the Universe will eventually stop expanding and start contracting, eventually collapsing into a singularity. This is in contrast to the big rip theory, which suggests that the Universe will continue to expand and eventually tear apart.

What evidence supports the possibility of a big rip?

The main evidence for the big rip theory comes from observations of the accelerated expansion of the Universe. This was first discovered in the late 1990s and has since been confirmed by multiple independent studies. Additionally, the big rip theory is consistent with the current understanding of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion.

Is the big rip theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

The big rip theory is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While some scientists see it as a plausible outcome for the fate of the Universe, others argue that there may be other factors at play that could prevent the big rip from occurring. More research and data are needed to fully understand the fate of the Universe.

Can we do anything to prevent the big rip from happening?

At this time, there is no known way to prevent the big rip from happening. However, as our understanding of the Universe and its properties continues to grow, it is possible that we may discover new information that could change the potential outcome of the Universe's fate.