Will the Big Rip basically be the Big Bang for the next universe?

In summary, the Big Rip is a theoretical scenario in which the universe's expansion accelerates to the point where it tears apart all matter and space itself, resulting in a singularity. However, this scenario is highly unlikely and there is no evidence to suggest that it will occur. Additionally, the observable universe is actually getting larger with time, not smaller, due to the effects of the universe's expansion.
swampwiz
I was reading that the Big Rip will cause the whole universe to go singular, which sounds to me like another Big Bang. I was reading up on the Big Rip at Wikipedia, where it says that the observable universe is getting smaller, which makes no sense since the universe is expanding. :oldconfused:

Space news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
I was reading that the Big Rip will cause the whole universe to go singular, which sounds to me like another Big Bang. I was reading up on the Big Rip at Wikipedia, where it says that the observable universe is getting smaller, which makes no sense since the universe is expanding. :oldconfused:
The Big Rip is seen as an unlikely scenario under current conditions and there is no reason to believe conditions will change.

The observable universe is getting slightly larger with time.

Last edited:
swampwiz said:
I was reading that the Big Rip will cause the whole universe to go singular, which sounds to me like another Big Bang.

The Big Rip's "end" of this universe does not correspond to the Big Bang of another universe; that's not what the Big Rip model says.

swampwiz said:
I was reading up on the Big Rip at Wikipedia, where it says that the observable universe is getting smaller, which makes no sense since the universe is expanding.

Yes, it does make sense (in the sense of the Big Rip model being consistent--which is not the same as it actually describing our universe; as @phinds notes, our best evidence is that it doesn't). The size of the observable universe is determined by how far away an object can be and still send light signals towards us that will eventually reach us. This is determined by two effects that work against each other: the light signals move towards us, but the expansion of the universe carries the light signals away from us. If the universe's expansion is accelerating and the rate of acceleration is itself increasing (which is what the Big Rip model says--as opposed to standard dark energy, where the rate of acceleration is, at most, constant--it never increases), then the second effect outweighs the first and the distance to the edge of the observable universe decreases with time.

PeterDonis said:
The size of the observable universe is determined by how far away an object can be and still send light signals towards us that will eventually reach us.
I don't think that's right. The observable universe should be the particle horizon. At least that's what it commonly signifies in the LCDM context. What you're describing is the event horizon (same as the article).

Bandersnatch said:
The observable universe should be the particle horizon. At least that's what is commonly referred to in the LCDM context. What you're describing is the event horizon

Looking at the Wikipedia article [1], it seems like they're using the following definition of "observable universe":

"...this implies that the size of the observable universe is continually shrinking; the distance to the edge of the observable universe which is moving away at the speed of light from any point moves ever closer"

This seems to be describing the event horizon, so that's what I assumed the OP was referring to. For clarity, the article should probably have used the term "event horizon" instead.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip

Come to think of it, proper distance to the particle horizon in the Big Rip scenario should grow to infinity, right?
What does it do in terms of comoving distance, though?

phinds said:
The Big Rip is seen as an unlikely scenario under current conditions and there is no reason to believe conditions will change.

The observable universe is getting slightly larger with time.
More precisely, there are very strong theoretical reasons to believe that a "big rip" scenario is fundamentally impossible. There's no way to rule it out experimentally, but the possibility of a "big rip" would make it really hard for physics to make sense at all.

Likes phinds

1. What is the Big Rip?

The Big Rip is a hypothetical cosmological event in which the expansion of the universe increases at an exponential rate, causing all matter and energy to be torn apart.

2. How is the Big Rip related to the Big Bang?

The Big Rip is a proposed scenario for the end of the universe, while the Big Bang is a theory about the beginning of the universe. The Big Rip is often described as the "reverse" of the Big Bang, as it would result in the universe expanding infinitely rather than starting from a single point.

3. Will the Big Rip lead to the creation of a new universe?

It is currently unknown if the Big Rip would result in the creation of a new universe. Some theories propose that the energy released during the Big Rip could potentially trigger the formation of a new universe, but this is purely speculative.

4. Is the Big Rip considered a likely scenario for the end of the universe?

The Big Rip is a possible outcome based on current theories and observations, but it is not considered a likely scenario. The majority of evidence suggests that the expansion of the universe is not accelerating at a rate that would lead to a Big Rip.

5. How would the Big Rip affect life on Earth?

If the Big Rip were to occur, it would happen in the distant future (billions of years from now), so it would not directly affect life on Earth. However, the expansion of the universe would eventually cause all matter and energy to be ripped apart, making life as we know it impossible.