Determine Electric Force Due to Charges on Neg. Charged Dust Mite

• Thread starter Abelard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of electric force on a negatively charged dust mite in the bottom left corner of a doorframe. The doorframe is twice as tall as it is wide and has a positive charge on the top left corner and an equal but negative charge on the top right corner. The conversation includes attempts to calculate the net electrostatic force using trigonometry, with a final result of (-1.88e-29, 1.556e-29) and an angle of 320.38 degrees. However, there is a discussion about potential flaws in the calculations and the fact that the force should lie along the line joining the charges.
Abelard
A doorframe is twice as tall as it is wide. There is a positive charge on the top left corner and an equal but negative charge in the top right corner. What is the direction of the electric force due to these charges on a negatively charged dust mite in the bottom left corner of the doorframe?

So I know the how to divide into components and analyze in the x an y directions to figure out the net force in x an y direction. But the problem is the values I plugged in were not correct because it was wrong. my answer was 32 or so degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any brave souls?

Maybe show a little more of your attempt?

So I assumed that the positive charge at the top left corner is 1.602e-19C, an elementary charge. Likewise, the negative charge at the top right corner is assumed to be -1.602e-19C. The dust mite, although unspecified of its value, is negatively charged, so I assumed its charge to be -1.602e-19C. So the attractive electrostatic force between the mite and the positively charged particle is (0, 5.768e-29)=(Fx,Fy) assuming that the length along the side is 2m and the width is 1m. For the repulsive force between the mite and the negative charge, the angle made by the diagonal line, connecting the mite and the charge, and the length of the doorframe is arcsin(1/sqrt(5)) or 26.565degrees. The net electrostatic force between the negatively charged particle and the mite is 5.768e-29 N. So, using trigonometry, I get (Fx,Fy)=(-2.5795e-29,-5.159e-29). Then summing the forces, (Fx,Fy)=(-2.5795e-29, 6.0895e-30). Theta is then, atan(6.0895e-30/-2.5795e-29)+360= 346.717degrees. Any flaw in this?

Abelard said:
The net electrostatic force between the negatively charged particle and the mite is 5.768e-29 N. So, using trigonometry, I get (Fx,Fy)=(-2.5795e-29,-5.159e-29). Then summing the forces, (Fx,Fy)=(-2.5795e-29, 6.0895e-30). Theta is then, atan(6.0895e-30/-2.5795e-29)+360= 346.717degrees. Any flaw in this?

I think you should recheck the force due to the negative charge at the top right corner. You may have used the length of the door frame instead of the diagonal. Also, estimate the quadrant that the resultant should fall in by looking at your diagram; make sure that your calculated angle for the resultant agrees.

I really don't have an intuitive sense as to where the resultant electrostatic force will point to. So all I can rely on is calculation. So the right angle is 320.3868? The angle is actually atan(1/sqrt(5)). So using the angle, 24.095degrees, the ordered set of x and y component of electrostatic force vector is (-1.88e-29,-4.212e-29). So adding up all the x and y forces, the resultant force will have (-1.88e-29,1.556e-29). So taking arctangent;atan(1.556e-29/-1.88e-29)+360= 320.38degrees since it's in the fourth quadrant.

Abelard said:
I really don't have an intuitive sense as to where the resultant electrostatic force will point to. So all I can rely on is calculation. So the right angle is 320.3868? The angle is actually atan(1/sqrt(5)). So using the angle, 24.095degrees, the ordered set of x and y component of electrostatic force vector is (-1.88e-29,-4.212e-29). So adding up all the x and y forces, the resultant force will have (-1.88e-29,1.556e-29). So taking arctangent;atan(1.556e-29/-1.88e-29)+360= 320.38degrees since it's in the fourth quadrant.

The distance from the top right corner to the bottom left is greater than the distance from the top left corner to the bottom left (the diagonal is longer than the side). Since all charges have the same magnitude you expect the magnitude of the force with the shorter separation to be larger. Or, if you prefer, the one with the larger distance between them will be smaller.

The force between charges always lies along the line joining the charges.

So, if you were to sketch the forces on the charge at the lower left you'd have one pointing along the direction of the diagonal to the lower left (repulsive), and one, slightly larger, pointing straight up towards the upper left corner. If you "add" these vectors graphically on your sketch, where does the resultant end up?

1. How is the electric force on a negative charged dust mite calculated?

The electric force on a negative charged dust mite is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges (in this case, the charge of the dust mite and the charge of the other object) divided by the square of the distance between them.

2. What factors affect the electric force on a negative charged dust mite?

The electric force on a negative charged dust mite is affected by the magnitude of its charge, the magnitude of the charge on other nearby objects, and the distance between the dust mite and those objects. The force also depends on the medium in which the dust mite and other objects are located.

3. How can the direction of the electric force on a negative charged dust mite be determined?

The direction of the electric force on a negative charged dust mite can be determined by using the principle of superposition, which states that the overall force on an object is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it. In this case, the direction of the force will be in the direction of the net force vector.

4. Can the electric force on a negative charged dust mite be repulsive?

Yes, the electric force on a negative charged dust mite can be repulsive. This is because like charges (two negative charges in this case) repel each other according to Coulomb's Law. The force will be attractive if the dust mite has a positive charge.

5. How can the electric force on a negative charged dust mite be measured experimentally?

The electric force on a negative charged dust mite can be measured experimentally using a device called an electroscope. This instrument can detect the presence and magnitude of an electric charge by measuring the deflection of a small metal plate. By placing the dust mite near the electroscope, the force can be measured by observing the deflection of the plate.