Test Convergence/Divergence of Series: 7*\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}

• Thread starter tangibleLime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Test
In summary: Of course I agree the limit approach is useful. I am not sure I believe either limit or comparison are more general. I think if I thought about it for a while, I could prove either from the other.In summary, the conversation was about testing a series for convergence or divergence. The original series was written in terms of an exponent with an 'n' and the question was whether this still made the p-series test valid. The series was manipulated and simplified until it resembled a p-series, and it was determined that the p-series test was still valid. However, to make the argument rigorous, the general comparison test for positive term series was mentioned. This test involves taking the limit of the ratio of two sequences and comparing it to a value
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence or divergence.

symimage.cgi?expr=sum_%28n%3D1%29%5Einfinity%20%287%20n%2B1%29%2A%2An%2F%28n%2A%2A%289%20n%29%29.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started playing around with it, trying to write it in different ways, and got it down to something that *looked* like a p-series... but there's an 'n' in the exponent. Does this still make the p-series test valid?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(7n+1)^{n}}{n^{9n}}[/tex]

I removed the one because it seems like it would make no difference as n -> infinity.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(7n)^{n}}{n^{9n}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{7}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

Factoring out the 7...

[tex]7 * \sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

I figure since n is always positive and greater than 0, the power 8n will follow the same standards. And 1/n^p is a p-series, and the p in this case is 8n. But is this still valid since there's an 'n' in the power?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] 0 < \frac{1}{n^{8n}} < \frac{1}{n^8} [/tex], right?

Just use the comparison test against a simple power series.

tangibleLime said:

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence or divergence.

symimage.cgi?expr=sum_%28n%3D1%29%5Einfinity%20%287%20n%2B1%29%2A%2An%2F%28n%2A%2A%289%20n%29%29.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started playing around with it, trying to write it in different ways, and got it down to something that *looked* like a p-series... but there's an 'n' in the exponent. Does this still make the p-series test valid?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(7n+1)^{n}}{n^{9n}}[/tex]

I removed the one because it seems like it would make no difference as n -> infinity.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(7n)^{n}}{n^{9n}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{7}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

Factoring out the 7...

[tex]7 * \sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

I figure since n is always positive and greater than 0, the power 8n will follow the same standards. And 1/n^p is a p-series, and the p in this case is 8n. But is this still valid since there's an 'n' in the power?

So, by your heuristic argument, your series "seems" like

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{7}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

That's a good intuitive approach, but to make it rigorous you need to apply the general comparison test for positive term series:

[tex]{\hbox If }\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{b_n} = L[/tex]

where L isn't 0 or ∞ then the series ∑an and ∑bn converge or diverge together. Then you can get your last series to converge by a standard comparison test.

LCKurtz said:
So, by your heuristic argument, your series "seems" like

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{7}{n^{8n}}[/tex]

That's a good intuitive approach, but to make it rigorous you need to apply the general comparison test for positive term series:

[tex]{\hbox If }\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{b_n} = L[/tex]

where L isn't 0 or ∞ then the series ∑an and ∑bn converge or diverge together. Then you can get your last series to converge by a standard comparison test.

I always thought the comparison test was a little different, and need not involve limits, explicitly. Specifically,

If a and b are two non-negative sequences, and there exists k such that for every n > k, a sub n >= b sub n, then, if sum (a) converges then sum (b) converges.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
I always thought the comparison test was a little different, and need not involve limits, explicitly. Spefically,

If a and b are two non-negative sequences, and there exists k such that for every n > k, a sub n >= b sub n, then, if sum (a) converges then sum (b) converges.

Yes, that is the ordinary comparison test. But say you have, for example, the series

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {n+5}{n^3}[/tex]

You might like to compare it with the known convergent p series

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {1}{n^2}[/tex]

But you can't, because your original series is greater term by term than the p series. But your intuition tells you that the 5 shouldn't really make any difference, which is correct. It is this sort of problem that the general comparison test handles. See if your calculus book doesn't have some examples.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, that is the ordinary comparison test. But say you have, for example, the series

But you can't, because your original series is greater term by term than the p series. But your intuition tells you that the 5 shouldn't really make any difference, which is correct. It is this sort of problem that the general comparison test handles. See if your calculus book doesn't have some examples.

You still don't need anything more than than the simple comparison test. If series S converges, then series k S converges for any k.

I was last in school 37 years ago. I just play with math and physics as a hobby, unrelated to my current career.

LCKurtz said:

PAllen said:
You still don't need anything more than than the simple comparison test. If series S converges, then series k S converges for any k.

I was last in school 37 years ago. I just play with math and physics as a hobby, unrelated to my current career.

Of course the example I gave can be done other ways but I was making the point about when the generalized comparison test is handy. Here's another

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {\sqrt{n^2+5}}{n^3-9}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
Of course the example I gave can be done other ways but I was making the point about when the generalized comparison test is handy. Here's another

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {\sqrt{n^2+5}}{n^3-9}[/tex]

Of course I agree the limit approach is useful. I am not sure I believe either limit or comparison are more general. I think if I thought about it for a while, I could prove either from the other.

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in series?

Convergence and divergence in series refers to whether or not the terms in a series approach a finite limit or diverge to infinity as the number of terms increases. In other words, it determines whether the sum of an infinite series is a finite number or not.

2. How do you test for convergence or divergence of a series?

There are several methods for testing convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These methods involve comparing the given series to known convergent or divergent series or evaluating the series using calculus techniques.

3. What is the formula for the series 7*\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}?

The formula for this series is 7 multiplied by the sum from n=1 to infinity of 1 over n to the power of 8n.

4. How does the comparison test apply to the series 7*\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}?

The comparison test states that if a series of positive terms is compared to a known convergent series and the terms of the first series are less than or equal to the terms of the second series, then the first series is also convergent. In this case, we can compare the given series to \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{2}}, since 8n is always greater than or equal to 2 for all values of n. Therefore, the given series is also convergent.

5. What is the final conclusion for the convergence or divergence of the series 7*\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{8n}}?

Based on the comparison test, we can conclude that the given series is convergent. This means that the sum of the series is a finite number and the terms approach this number as the number of terms increases.