Inelastic Collision with Friction

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a bullet being fired into a wooden block with friction. The initial speed of the bullet needs to be determined, and the method used is to look at it as a momentum problem and use the equation M(bullet)*V(bullet) = M(Bullet+Block)*V(bullet+block). The steps to finding the initial speed are then explained, including using the formula v_{f}^{2}-v_{0}^{2}=2*(-0.2g)d and conservation of momentum. There is also a clarification about the units and mass used in the calculations.
Gallium
I forget how to solve one dimensional motion problems with friction, which is holding me up in this problem:

a 5.00 g bullet is fired horizontally into a 1.2 kg wooden block resting on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and surface is .2. The bullet remains embedded in the block and the block moves 0.23 m before stopping. What is the initial speed of the bullet?

bullet------->block----.230 M-[ ]

looking at it as a momentum problem:

M(bullet)*V(bullet) = M(Bullet+Block)*V(bullet+block)

you need to solve for v(bullet+block) which can be determined by the following problem:

A block of mass 1.25 kg on a surface with kinetic friction of .2 is acted on upon a force and move .230 M before coming to rest on a horizontal surface. Find the initial speed of the bullet.

m = 1.25
v_0 = x
v_x = 0
mu_k = .2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the second phase, you have constant deceleration equal to 0.2g

I understand that.

What I don't understand is the logic to find the initial velocity.

I know what this answer is, but I need to apply the exact same logic to a separate problem. So what I am really asking for is someone to solve this problem and show the steps.

Gallium

Well, you have:
[tex]v_{f}^{2}-v_{0}^{2}=2*(-0.2g)d[/tex]
Right?
([tex]v_{f}=0[/tex], d is 0.230)
This enables you to solve for [tex]v_{0}[/tex]

that doesn't yield the correct answer.

Because that's the speed for the bullet+box system, not for the bullet, now use conservation of momentum to find the initial speed of the bullet.

.05 * V_1 = .9212*1.25

V_1 = 23.03 m/s

V_1 actually = 229 m/s

1 Kg is 1000 grams not 100 grams.

5grams is 0.005 Kg.

i see, thank you. I found the correct logic.

1. What is an inelastic collision with friction?

An inelastic collision with friction is a type of collision between two objects where kinetic energy is not conserved and there is also friction present between the objects. This means that the objects will not bounce off of each other after the collision, and some of their initial kinetic energy will be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How does friction affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

Friction can significantly affect the outcome of an inelastic collision. It can decrease the overall momentum of the objects involved, as well as convert some of their kinetic energy into other forms of energy. This can cause the objects to come to a complete stop or continue moving at a slower speed after the collision.

3. What factors influence the amount of friction in an inelastic collision?

The amount of friction in an inelastic collision can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the mass and velocity of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that may reduce friction. The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the interaction between the surfaces, also plays a role in determining the amount of friction present.

4. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision with friction?

In an inelastic collision with friction, momentum is still conserved. This means that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision will be equal. However, due to the presence of friction, some of the initial momentum may be lost as the objects come to a stop or continue moving at a slower speed after the collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions with friction?

Inelastic collisions with friction are common in everyday life, such as when a car collides with another car or a wall, or when a ball bounces off of a rough surface. Other examples include a person sliding to a stop on an icy surface, or a book sliding off a table and coming to a stop on the floor. In all of these cases, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the presence of friction.