Physics problem - Momentum and energy

In summary: Good job on figuring it out!I agree...the calculations could be a bit more clear, but the basic idea is there.Good job on figuring it out!
Josep767
Homework Statement
A bullet passes through a ballistic block and making an inelastic collision
Relevant Equations
Energy equations, parabolic equations(?), momentum equations.
2019-10-24 19_32_19-problema_xocs_T1920.pdf.png

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I translate the full statement:

A 200g bullet is shot against a ballistic block passing it through and making an inelastic collision. The initial speed of the bullet is 200meters/second, the mass of the block is 3kg and the string that holds the block measures 2 meters. The bullet is at 1m of the floor and travels 5 meters in the horizontal axis.

a) What is the speed of the bullet and the block right after the collision?
b) What is the lost energy in the collision?
c) What is the maximum angle that makes the block ?

I don't require the full answer, just an algebraic proposal is enough

(sorry for my english, I'm not native speaker)

Thank you, Josep!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to do thw work yourself. My proposal is to think about momentum.

Well, I've been thinking about the problem for more than 2h, this is my last resort

Josep767 said:
Well, I've been thinking about the problem for more than 2h, this is my last resort

And you have no ideas?

Just curious, is this some regional language from Spain, maybe Catalan?

Likes Josep767
WWGD said:
Just curious, is this some regional language from Spain, maybe Catalan?
Yes! It is catalan :)!

Likes WWGD
PeroK said:
And you have no ideas?
Well, I suposed that when the bullet leaves the block it makes a parabolic movement from Xo(initial position)=0m and Xf(final position)=5m and Yo(initial height)=1m and Yf(final height)=0m, but the statement doesn't confirm that so I'm not 100% sure

Josep767 said:
Well I suposed that when the bullet leaves the block it makes a parabolic movement, but the statement doesn't confirm that so I'm not 100% sure
I think that's a good idea even if the statement does not confirm it. Without the speed of the bullet after traversing the block you will not be able to solve this problem.

kuruman said:
I think that's a good idea even if the statement does not confirm it. Without the speed of the bullet after traversing the block you will not be able to solve this problem.
Okey, now I am solving the excercise assuming that, once i finish it I'll post it here and we can comment the results and if you agree or not, ty

Josep767 said:
Okey, now I am solving the excercise assuming that, once i finish it I'll post it here and we can comment the results and if you agree or not, ty
Yes, be sure you show your workings, not just the numerical answers.

kuruman said:
Yes, be sure you show your workings, not just the numerical answers.
In this kind of excercise I have to show all the steps and explain them, the only problem is that I'm doing it in my language so I'll have to translate it.

Just explain the meanings of the symbols you use and show all the relevant equations. We can see from the use of the equations whether you did it right or not. We will not be grading your effort.

Josep767 said:
Well, I suposed that when the bullet leaves the block it makes a parabolic movement from Xo(initial position)=0m and Xf(final position)=5m and Yo(initial height)=1m and Yf(final height)=0m, but the statement doesn't confirm that so I'm not 100% sure
It doesn't need to confirm that.

That gives you a start. With that assumption, what can you say about the bullet after it leaves the block? Hint: projectile motion.

b080d664-0287-4ee3-993b-04eb5b12ef3b.jpg

Okey so what I've done is:
I assumed a parrabolic shot from initial X=0 and final X=5, initial Y=1 and final Y=0
I calculated the time, 0.45secs and calculated de horitzontal speed: 11.06m/s
Then I applied the momentum formula
mb(mass of bullet) and mm(mass of the block)
mb·vb+mm·vm(which is 0) =mb·v'b+mm*v'm
I isolated v'm and it gave me 12.56 m/s
To calculate the loss of energy I calculated the initial energy of the bullet(before the collision) which is 4000J
and the final energy of each body with their respective speeds (12.23J for the bullet and 236.6J for the block)
I made the difference between the energies and that gave me the losses.
For the angle I calculated: 0.5mm*v'm^2=m*g*h but the height gave me around 8m, knowing that the length of the string is 2m, wouldn't it do a loop?

Likes PeroK
Josep767 said:
View attachment 251772

Okey so what I've done is:
I assumed a parrabolic shot from initial X=0 and final X=5, initial Y=1 and final Y=0
I calculated the time, 0.45secs and calculated de horitzontal speed: 11.06m/s
Then I applied the momentum formula
mb(mass of bullet) and mm(mass of the block)
mb·vb+mm·vm(which is 0) =mb·v'b+mm*v'm
I isolated v'm and it gave me 12.56 m/s
To calculate the loss of energy I calculated the initial energy of the bullet(before the collision) which is 4000J
and the final energy of each body with their respective speeds (12.23J for the bullet and 236.6J for the block)
I made the difference between the energies and that gave me the losses.
For the angle I calculated: 0.5mm*v'm^2=m*g*h but the height gave me around 8m, knowing that the length of the string is 2m, wouldn't it do a loop?

I agree with your numbers - the ones that I've checked.

Yes, the ratio of the masses is only 1/15 and I thought the block would go very fast.

Here's how to check a problem like this in your head(!)

Note that to travel 5m the bullet is not going very fast, so we could estimate this problem by imagining it lost all its momentum in the collision and got stuck in the block. This should give a similar result.

The ratio of the masses is only 1/15, so the block will go approx 1/16 th of the initial speed of the bullet. That's about 12.5 m/s. (200/16)

The block would to the same height if it went straight up: 1.25s (12.5/10) at an average of 6.25 m/s (half of 12.5) is about 8m.

My guess is that the mass of the bullet should be ##20g##. That changes things.

Likes jbriggs444
Now I need to calculate the angle that the block would do, but I'm pretty much stuck.

Josep767 said:
Now I need to calculate the angle that the block would do, but I'm pretty much stuck.

Try ##20g## for the bullet.

Likes jbriggs444
ehild said:
I do not think the text says that the bullet leaves the block. The collision is said inelastic which usually means that the colliding bodies move together after collision. A ballistic pendulum is used to determine the momentum of a bullet in the way that the bullet stays inside the block, and the maximum height of the block after collision is detected.

That may have been lost in transalation. In any case, the bullet is far too heavy.

I was going to suggest the same. A quick trip to Google and
https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/ShantayArmstrong.shtml said:
Depending on the gun, the mass of a bullet usually ranges between 0.02 kilograms and 0.04 kilograms. The mass of a bullet depends on the caliber and type of gun used. A bullet can be fired from a revolver, pistol, rifle, machine gun or other weapon.

Likes PeroK
Ye I know, the bullet weight is 0.2kg i checked it twice because it seemed to heavy for me. If you translate the excercise with google translator you can see that the bullet goes through the block.

Josep767 said:
Ye I know, the bullet weight is 0.2kg i checked it twice because it seemed to heavy for me. If you translate the excercise with google translator you can see that the bullet goes through the block.

Try with ##20g## anyway. With ##200g## you won't get an answer.

The bullet has to go through the block. The string holding the block is 2 meters, and the bullet travels 5 meters in the horizontal direction. The block has only a maximum possible horizontal travel of +/- 2 meters.

Also, if it travel 5 meters in 0.45 seconds, how fast is it moving?

And 200 grams is way heavy for a bullet. It's kind of heavy for a crossbow bolt. But if it is the value in the problem, it is the value in the problem.

haruspex said:
The horizontal distance of 5m may be just there to confuse you. It cannot be relevant. You are not asked to allow for drag, and in the collision only the horizontal momentum matters.

I assumed that was after it exited the block: ##5m## horizontal and ##1m## vertical determines the exit speed of the bullet. But, it does seem odd to add that to the problem.

Likes haruspex and DEvens
PeroK said:
I assumed that was after it exited the block: ##5m## horizontal and ##1m## vertical determines the exit speed of the bullet. But, it does seem odd to add that to the problem.
Ah, yes, you must be right. It all makes sense then. In particular, it means that despite a mass of 200g, not enough momentum is transferred to make the bob loop-the-loop.

haruspex said:
Ah, yes, you must be right. It all makes sense then. In particular, it means that despite a mass of 200g, not enough momentum is transferred to make the bob loop-the-loop.
See post #15.

PeroK said:
Try with ##20g## anyway. With ##200g## you won't get an answer.
I agree. With 20 g the answer is much more reasonable and the block rises to a height that is considerably less than the length of the string.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without losing any energy. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

How does mass and velocity affect an object's momentum?

The greater an object's mass, the greater its momentum will be for a given velocity. Similarly, the faster an object is moving, the greater its momentum will be for a given mass. This relationship is described by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference frame. In this case, it is important to include the direction of the momentum in calculations to accurately represent the object's motion.