Suggestions on acing Fluid Mechanics please

In summary, Matt found it difficult to do well in Fluid Mechanics because he didn't understand the concepts and didn't know how to solve the problems. He recommends learning the physics in the basic forms and being able to solve the problems on your own.
fluidmech
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing well on Fluid Mechanics? I got a 34 on my previous test (class average was a 35..).

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally, I would love to find something like mech movies for mechanics of materials.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to solve any of the homework problems without referring to the solutions guide for assistance.

Thanks in advance,

- Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I took fluid mechanics, i had to work on the problems with a group of students. And you have to make sure that you can do the examples during class and ask your professor if you don't understand, because if you can't understand the examples, you won't understand the homework.

If you want to do well in fluid mechanics, don't just focus on problems. Make sure you understand the basic concepts like conservation laws, thermodynamics and the boundary conditions. Knowing the process to solve a problem is one thing, but knowing the first principles is the best way to be able to arrive at those processes on your own rather than memorizing recipes.

On top of understanding basic concepts as suggested, you should probably try working the problems multiple times. I work a problem 2-3 times with referring to solution when I need to and keep working it until I can work it with no referencing. It's what I do for all my classes, and it seems to be working in Fluids this semester. It is time consuming, but well worth it.

Know the material, know the examples, annoy the prof with questions when you don't understand something, form a study group.

If you have to refer to the solution manual, try to understand what is going on in the answer, don't just write it down!

cronanster said:
Know the material, know the examples, annoy the prof with questions when you don't understand something, form a study group.

If you have to refer to the solution manual, try to understand what is going on in the answer, don't just write it down!

Of course, just writing it down over and over memorizing one problem will not help. But if you work it through step by step and each time learn a new reason why you're doing a certain step then it really helps.

My biggest recommendation would be to learn the physics in the most basic forms and understand how to simplify those basic forms for whatever problem you are working.

I'm talking about conservation of mass, momentum, angular momentum, and energy both in differential and integral forms. Note that everyone's beloved bernoulli equation is in here (it is a form of the energy equation, essentially a conservation of mechanical energy).

I see a lot of students that don't actually think about the physics and don't understand what equations or forms of the equation to work with. Then they get bogged down working with an equation that is incorrectly applied and because they didn't think about the physics they never catch their mistakes.

If your looking for some great (classic) movies, see here: http://web.mit.edu/hml/ncfmf.html.

Exactly WannaBeME! A lot of problems in fluids aren't straight forward, imo. Understanding what the question is asking, and as MrMatt2532 pointed out, knowing the physics will be extremely helpful.

For me, fluids was one of my most challenging course, and everything that has been laid out so far is how I got through it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I've learned more from failing my first test (part 1 and 2.. if had a second part to the first test because the class average was so low) than any of the homework to be honest with you.

I'll be posting for help pretty soon!

Related to Suggestions on acing Fluid Mechanics please

What is Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion and at rest. It deals with the principles and laws governing the flow and dynamics of fluids, and plays a crucial role in many engineering and scientific applications.

What are some tips for understanding Fluid Mechanics?

To understand Fluid Mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations. It is also helpful to visualize and conceptualize the flow of fluids, and to practice solving problems and applying the equations and principles learned in class. Additionally, seeking help from professors, tutors, and classmates can aid in understanding the subject.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Fluid Mechanics?

To improve problem-solving skills in Fluid Mechanics, it is important to first understand the underlying principles and equations. Then, practice solving a variety of problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually moving on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and to carefully label and organize all given information. Additionally, seeking feedback and asking for help when needed can also improve problem-solving skills.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Fluid Mechanics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Fluid Mechanics include incorrect application of equations, not considering all forces and boundary conditions, and not properly labeling and organizing given information. It is also important to be aware of units and conversions, and to double-check calculations for accuracy. Additionally, not seeking help or clarification when needed can also lead to mistakes.

How can I prepare for exams in Fluid Mechanics?

To prepare for exams in Fluid Mechanics, it is important to review class notes, practice solving problems, and familiarize oneself with the equations and principles covered in class. It is also helpful to create study guides and flashcards, and to work on past exams and practice problems. Additionally, seeking help from professors or attending review sessions can also aid in exam preparation.