Struggling to Rekindle My Love for Physics: A College Freshman's Dilemma

In summary: In fact, you will see many problems where you have to use math to think critically and solve problems. It's good to have a foundation in math, but don't worry, you will eventually be able to use it in ways that are more grounded in reality.
Redd
I'm only a freshman in college so I still have plenty of time to decide but I'm sort of worried by my E&M class. I adored AP Physics in high school and I really wanted to pursue it. Now I'm taking E&M in college and it doesn't seem nearly as interesting. Could it just be because I already took most of this material last year?
In Physics I feel like all we are doing is getting equations and rearranging them.
I'm leaning towards straight mathematics now because my Calc class seems so much more interesting.
The Calc class covers mostly methods for solving integrals, some ODE, and series etc. I feel like the math is truly making me think more critically in new ways while the physics is just plug n' chug.

So my question is if anyone has felt similarly? Is it just because its a lower level course?
Will the flame rekindle once I go to classes that involves more math besides algebra and
basic integrals?

I feel like I only loved Physics because of the math...But If I were to be a mathematician I think I would go crazy because while I enjoy how abstract it is I would like some grounding in reality.

I feel like I'm asking for ways to stay in love with my wife :)

Thanks for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
My into electricity and magnetism course was similar to yours. It seemed like every chapter we were given a bunch of equations and could often solve the problems just by knowing the equations. Don't be discouraged though, after learning more math this will not be the case. Many of the relationships require more mathematical maturity to derive so they are simply given to you at the introductory level. Similar to how without calculus one might be given an equation of position, velocity, and acceleration.

After taking differential equations and linear algebra, it became clear where many of those formulas came from. Good luck!

Is your class just physics majors? Probably not if it is an intro course, so it might be dumbed down a little anyways. Don't get discouraged so soon, intro classes are generally not that challenging especially if you had the same material in high school.

JD88: Yeah it is an intro class and its mainly engineers.
Piru: I'm glad to hear that this might just be a step towards something more engaging.
Cool. I think I knew things were only temporary I'm just ranting because I'm kind of bored. But yeah I don't hate the class, just want to do some things more in depth.
Thanks to both.

You won't see many plug and chug problems after your intro sequence.

1. Why are you struggling to rekindle your love for physics?

As a college freshman, I have been exposed to many new subjects and experiences, which has led to a decrease in my interest in physics. I am also facing new challenges and responsibilities, which can make it difficult to find time and motivation to focus on my studies.

2. What steps have you taken to try and reignite your passion for physics?

I have been attending class regularly, seeking help from professors and tutors, and actively participating in class discussions and activities. I have also been trying to find real-world applications of physics concepts to make the subject more interesting and relevant to me.

3. Have you considered seeking guidance or advice from a mentor or counselor?

Yes, I have reached out to my academic advisor and other faculty members for guidance on how to improve my motivation and study habits. I have also sought advice from upperclassmen who have successfully navigated similar challenges.

4. Are there any resources or study strategies that have helped you in your journey to rekindle your love for physics?

I have found that breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces, and practicing regularly has helped me better understand and appreciate physics. I have also been using online resources, such as tutorials and interactive simulations, to supplement my learning.

5. What advice do you have for others who are struggling to find their passion for physics?

I would recommend seeking support from peers and professors, actively engaging in class, and finding practical applications of physics in the real world. It's also essential to take breaks and find a healthy balance between studying and other activities to avoid burnout. Remember that it's normal to have ups and downs in your academic journey, and don't be afraid to seek help when needed.