What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #1,751
Math Is Hard said:
You should open one. There is a place here that serves only lunch and breakfast and they have lines of people waiting almost every day.
There is a place in Paducah, KY run by an ex-Navy cook. It's called Skinhead's because he shaves his head, and that's his nick-name. He only serves breakfast and the place is packed every day. A local told me to try the Skinhead Special - I didn't have a clue what I was getting into. Flank steak, home fries, beans, eggs, pancakes, toast, ham, bacon, grits, and on and on. If it was on the menu, you got some. At the time (maybe 15 years ago) the Skinhead Special was under $7. 4 people could have eaten well on that one meal.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,752
This morning's breakfast was fried thin-sliced venison steak with home-fries. Dredge the steak in flour and season liberally with salt and pepper, then fry fast in a preheated buttered skillet. Condiments for the home-fries was a mix of last summer's garlic-y chili relish blend with Annie's Naturals ketchup.

• #1,753
For Hypatia: Onion-rye bread for bread machines.

1-1/4 cup water
1/4 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp shortening
2-1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
1-1/4 tsp bread machine yeast

Don't substitute fresh onion for flakes.

• #1,754
Part of tonight's supper was stuffed mushroom caps. The stuffing was crab meat, cracker crumbs, cream cheese, cilantro, and minced shallots (seasoned to taste, of course). These are baked in a pan with a thin layer of water in the bottom so that the mushroom caps don't dry out and scorch. We had a cream sauce to dress these at the table. The other treat was little eggroll-like roll-ups in won-ton wrappers. One filling was made from finely chopped mushroom stems (where did THOSE come from?) with excess filling from the previous dish. The other filling was made from shredded chicken, chopped jalapenos, black beans and shredded Monterey jack. Moisten the won-ton wrapper a bit and they stick pretty well - then coat with extra-virgin olive oil, arrange in a pan and bake. My wife dipped these little roll-ups in duck sauce and I dressed mine in green-tomato-and jalapeno salsa. What a great meal! Around Christmas, we forgo large, elaborate meals and concentrate on stuff that you'd normally consider appetizers. Since we dream up the recipes ourselves, they change continually. I have some special sauces, marinades, etc committed to memory because at one time or another my wife has commanded "don't ever change this", but it's usually pretty free-form around here.

For reference, I am FORBIDDEN to ever change my recipe for pizza sauce (takes all day to make) or my marinade/basting sauce for grilled jumbo shrimp. Sacred formulas both.

• #1,755
I was at the market tonight and I tried this cheese that was so yummy, I bought some on the spot. It's called "Drunken Goat".
A dousing in red wine gives this cheese a sassy edge, adding a new dimension of flavor to the mild, semi-soft center. The reddish-purple rind is a stunning contrast to the white cheese, making it an eye-catching addition to any cheese plate. Wildly popular in the U.S., it has helped invigorate the once struggling dairy industry in Spain’s Murcia region.

http://www.cheesestoresl.com/cheese/Goat/review_drunkengoat.html

http://www.emarkys.com/caviar/customer/image.php?type=P&id=16977

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,756
Math Is Hard said:
I was at the market tonight and I tried this cheese that was so yummy, I bought some on the spot. It's called "Drunken Goat".

I[/URL] love the marketing, MIH. Does the cheese live up to the hype with crackers, pickles, toppings, etc?

• #1,757
I've only tried it on mini toast, but I am looking forward to experimenting.

• #1,758
MIH, look what I found today in chat!

Rumbledethumps

To make fresh rumbledethumps one needs to lightly sauté the shredded onion and cabbage in butter until the onion is transparent and the cabbage wilted, then add some potatoes mashed with butter, salt and pepper; after thoroughly mixing the ingredients, they are placed into an oven proof dish, and cheddar (or similar) cheese placed on top, if desired. This is then baked until golden brown on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumbledethumps

• #1,759
Evo said:
MIH, look what I found today in chat!

Rumbledethumps

To make fresh rumbledethumps one needs to lightly sauté the shredded onion and cabbage in butter until the onion is transparent and the cabbage wilted, then add some potatoes mashed with butter, salt and pepper; after thoroughly mixing the ingredients, they are placed into an oven proof dish, and cheddar (or similar) cheese placed on top, if desired. This is then baked until golden brown on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumbledethumps

So if you make this dish, and you only make one, are you still making rumbledethumps, or are you making a rumbledethump?

• #1,760
lisab said:
So if you make this dish, and you only make one, are you still making rumbledethumps, or are you making a rumbledethump?
I think it would be a rumbledethump.

I swear the UK has more oddly named dishes.

This one sounds yummy.

• #1,761
Evo said:
I think it would be a rumbledethump.

I swear the UK has more oddly named dishes.

This one sounds yummy.

Yes it really does...sort of a version of Sheperd's Pie.

• #1,762
We can't blame all the weird names on the Brits. When I was a kid growing up in pretty crappy environments, we ate "bubble and squeak" every couple of weeks.

Edit: It was a treat.

• #1,763
Roast potatoes and chili.

Not some thing for the purist, but my crunchy roast tatoes with creamy center really go well with a sort of chili gravy, made with them chorizo sausages, black beans, and some of the hottest fat green chili's i found, hotter than birds eye.
Just writing about it makes me want more.

• #1,764
With a name like Rumbledethumps, it's got to be good!

• #1,765
Math Is Hard said:

I can't remember myself if that cheese is good... I know I bought it once... but I was drinking like a goat when I ate it!

Mmmm... glad I checked out the food thread again... it's inspired me to get off line and make dinner, even if it's just going to be our standard peppers and " 'fu " stir-fry. :biggrin:

• #1,766
physics girl phd said:
I can't remember myself if that cheese is good... I know I bought it once... but I was drinking like a goat when I ate it!

Mmmm... glad I checked out the food thread again... it's inspired me to get off line and make dinner, even if it's just going to be our standard peppers and " 'fu " stir-fry. :biggrin:
Go for it! One-pot wok-based meals are fun, and they can be made from whatever is on hand.

I ate those little Mexican-style won-ton roll-ups cold as a midnight snack last night. Mmm! We've got to have those a lot more often.

• #1,767
Supper tonight will be chicken over sun dried tomato orzo with spinach...yummy!

• #1,768
scorpa said:
Supper tonight will be chicken over sun dried tomato orzo with spinach...yummy!
Sounds good! Heavy on the Romano!

• #1,769
Math Is Hard said:

Oh,[/URL] I missed this! With a name like that, you've got to try it.

How was it MIH?

• #1,770
Evo said:
Oh, I missed this! With a name like that, you've got to try it.

How was it MIH?

It's pretty good - I am having some more now. I think it's kind of a stand-alone appetizer cheese, and I'm thinking now that I don't want to integrate it into any recipes. I'll do that with the cheap stuff.

• #1,771
physics girl phd said:

Have you got an electric wok or the old school kind?

• #1,772
I just invented this, and it's delicious!:

1 large onion,
1 large carrot,
3 celery hearts (all coarsely chopped in 1/2-inch pieces)
1 lb chicken (chopped into bite-size pieces)
1 tsp garlic
1/4 cup raisins
Tarragon
Chervil
Rosemary
Thyme
Bay Leaves
1 bottle light-colored lager beer (i.e. Stella Artois)
3 cups chicken stock
1.5 cups brown Basmati rice
Salt, pepper to taste
Olive oil for saute

Saute vegetables and garlic medium-high in 5-qt saucepan or dutch oven until onions are transparent. Then add chicken and saute until no pink is left. Add raisins and spices. I'm not sure how much of each spice I used; tarragon is the primary one, with smaller amounts of the others.

Next pour in bottle of beer. Let it regain temperature (my beer was pretty cold when I poured it in). Then add rice and chicken stock. Bring to boil and then simmer low, covered, until rice is cooked and absorbs liquid. (Whole rice takes longer to cook than white rice, so you might have to check doneness periodically).

Actually, mine is still simmering, but it's really yummy!

• #1,773
Mole Poblano Magallon

1 oz Juajillo Chiles
1 oz Pazilla Chiles
3 Cloves of Garlic
½ Yellow Onion
1Cup Chicken Stock
1tbsp Flour
1tbsp Corn Starch (optional)
1tsp Salt
1tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Ajonjoli ( Sesame seeds)
2 tbsp Liquid Chocolate

In a large skillet combine the Juajillo, Pazilla, onion and garlic cloves. Cook on Medium heat for 15 -20 minutes. Then soak in warm water for 30 minutes. Place chiles, onion, garlic cloves, in a blender with small amount of water from which you soaked the chiles with. Blend until thick adding the water as you go, add white pepper and salt as desired.

In a separate skillet, combine chicken stock and flour, whisk on medium heat until thick. Combine Blender ingredients with chicken stock and flour, cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring in liquid chocolate. Pour over baked Chicken breasts, or thighs, Add Ajonjoli to sauce for garnish.

• #1,774
vincentm said:
Mole Poblano Magallon

Homemade mole! Yum!

• #1,775
I have been cleaning up some post-holiday left-overs here and there, but last night, my wife wanted to make a fresh batch of crab-cakes with salad. I figured we'd peg away at some more left-overs tonight, but she had other ideas. Once again, we had little Mexican-style mini-eggrolls. Man! they are killer.

filling is
shredded poultry meat (roast turkey, in this instance)
chopped cilantro
canned black beans
chopped onions
pressed garlic
shredded cheese(s)
chopped dill-pickled jalapeno rings (you're on your own here for substitutions - I make these for us and there is no substitute.) You want something hot with some seasonings.
powdered cumin
salt
For a little more moisture and rich flavor, I suggest finely-chopped mushrooms.

Combine the raw ingredients and sautee them in extra virgin olive oil until softend (but not cooked thoroughly) and transfer them to a bowl. Mix in the other ingredients, along with whatever spices/herbs you want to play with. Spoon the filling onto won-ton wrappers, and seal the wrappers with a finger-wipe of water, and place the roll-ups in a metal or ceramic pan greased with extra-virgin olive oil. Keep making those little suckers until the pan is filled, paint the rolls with a bit more extra-virgin olive oil and pop the pan into a 375 deg F pre-heated oven. Turn the pan if necessary to brown the treats evenly. When the roll-ups are nicely browned, take the pan out and let the appetizers cool for at least 5-10 minutes. Stuff you can have on-hand for dipping includes various salsas, neat or with mayonnaise, really hot chili sauces, etc.

We are going to have these appetizers at least once a week as a quick and light evening meal. They are fantastic.

Last edited:
  • #1,776
physics girl phd said:
Homemade mole! Yum!

Holy mole!

• #1,777
turbo-1 said:
I have been cleaning up some post-holiday left-overs here and there, but last night, my wife wanted to make a fresh batch of crab-cakes with salad. I figured we'd peg away at some more left-overs tonight, but she had other ideas. Once again, we had little Mexican-style mini-eggrolls. Man! they are killer.

filling is
shredded poultry meat (roast turkey, in this instance)
chopped cilantro
canned black beans
chopped onions
pressed garlic
shredded cheese(s)
chopped dill-pickled jalapeno rings (you're on your own here for substitutions - I make these for us and there is no substitute.) You want something hot with some seasonings.
powdered cumin
salt
For a little more moisture and rich flavor, I suggest finely-chopped mushrooms.

Combine the raw ingredients and sautee them in extra virgin olive oil until softend (but not cooked thoroughly) and transfer them to a bowl. Mix in the other ingredients, along with whatever spices/herbs you want to play with. Spoon the filling onto won-ton wrappers, and seal the wrappers with a finger-wipe of water, and place the roll-ups in a metal or ceramic pan greased with extra-virgin olive oil. Keep making those little suckers until the pan is filled, paint the rolls with a bit more extra-virgin olive oil and pop the pan into a 375 deg F pre-heated oven. Turn the pan if necessary to brown the treats evenly. When the roll-ups are nicely browned, take the pan out and let the appetizers cool for at least 5-10 minutes. Stuff you can have on-hand for dipping includes various salsas, neat or with mayonnaise, really hot chili sauces, etc.

We are going to have these appetizers at least once a week as a quick and light evening meal. They are fantastic.

Holy **** that sounds good, I've got to try this.

• #1,778
Day before yesterday I bought 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters on sale for 69 cents per pound, so I had fried chicken (not battered) for the last two days. Today, I know I will be making a jalapeno chicken noodle soup, but I still have 4 leg quarters left. I'm thinking perhaps a fricasee or cheesy chicken nachos.

My spice cabinet has run dry, so I don't have a lot of options. :frown:

• #1,779
Evo said:
Day before yesterday I bought 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters on sale for 69 cents per pound, so I had fried chicken (not battered) for the last two days. Today, I know I will be making a jalapeno chicken noodle soup, but I still have 4 leg quarters left. I'm thinking perhaps a fricasee or cheesy chicken nachos.

My spice cabinet has run dry, so I don't have a lot of options. :frown:

Remember from years ago, there is always the option for http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-cocq-au-vin

Heavenly

• #1,780
Today was cooking day. My wife had to leave at 2:00 to take a 24-hour shift caring for her mother, and we got busy. This morning, she had started a batch of baked beans (made from dried black beans) even before I got up. Then it was time for soup, made with beans, hot Italian sausage, crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, jalapeno peppers, spices, etc. Next a nice big roasting chicken joined the beans in the oven. When the beans were done, they came out to cool, and a large pan of pastry-type biscuits joined the chicken, while we made a big batch of cole slaw. I took biscuits and cole slaw to my father to have with his supper, then came back and de-boned the chicken. The meat is tucked away in a large Tupperware container, segregated into dark and white (we'll make those Mexican-style roll-up treats with some of that this week) and I have the carcass, skin, pan drippings and odd bits and pieces simmering on the stove-top right now, making soup-stock for a future meal.

I let the wood-fire go out today - all the cooking, baking, etc kept this little cabin comfortably warm all day. It's 17 deg F outside, and the inside temperature dipped below 70 a little while back, so I have a small fire going once again, kicking back, listening to some music with a beer. The refrigerator is bursting at the seams with food, so I just HAD to make room by taking out that bottle. :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,781
It must be the time of year for chicken soup! I just skinned 4 leg quarters and started a crock-pot full! We'll see if it lasts just one night or two.

• #1,782
Holy cow! I want this sandwich, of course, that's enough food for a week.

The Travel Channel show Man Vs Food showed a hamburger that is served at The Vortex restaurant in Atlanta, GA. The hamburger is

1/2 pound beef pattie, topped with 3 fried eggs, 6 slices of bacon, and instead of a bun, it is held between two grilled cheese sandwiches!

• #1,783
Eek! Enough fat to clog a whale's arteries! The Vortex sounds like a dangerous place to eat.

My wife and I made the Mexican roll-up snacks tonight - enough to last for a week. She was filling a cookie sheet with them while I filled my big pizza pan with them. They are wonderful cold (out of the refrigerator) and at just a couple of bites each, they are perfect for a light snack. We also filled a few wonton wrappers with garlic scape pesto - just to see how that tastes.

• #1,784
ohhhh

uuggghhh

ehhhhhh

pizza coma

I've been working too hard all week.

I haven't been eating much.

Tonight I ate a third of a pizza.

I'm going to die.

But it was really good.

• #1,785
What kind?