Efficiently Heat Soup: Calculate Time Needed with 350W Immersion Heater

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the time it will take to heat a cup of soup using a 350W immersion heater. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for help. They are advised to use the specific heat capacity of water to calculate the energy needed to heat the soup. The steps involved include converting units and calculating the time based on the power output of the heater.
iheartpink
I know this is a simple problem, but I don't know where to begin.
Please help!

A small immersion heater is rated at 350W. Estimate how long it will take to heat a cup of soup (assume this is 250 mL of water) from 15 degrees celsius to seventy-five degrees celsius

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about heat capacity? What is the definition of power?

i know that power is the change of work divided by the change in time. the problem is asking for the time so i need to solve for the change of work. the change in work isn't as simple as the difference in temperature, right?

can some one help me with this problem. i am stuck. i don't know where to go from here...

It takes a certain amount of energy to heat a volume of water up 1 degree celsius. That energy is "specific heat capacity". Work from there.

In this case, you're using volumetric heat capacity which Wiki defines as 4.181 joules per cubic centimetre per kelvin for water at 25*C.

You have to:

1.) Convert all the given units into standard units (mL = cm^3)

2.) Work out the energy needed to heat that volume of water to that temperature

3.) Calculate how long it will take for the 350W (joules per second) heater to give out energy equal to the amount needed for the water.

Last edited:

1. What is the cause of the increase in heat problem?

The increase in heat problem, also known as global warming, is mainly caused by the excessive amount of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, in the atmosphere. These gases trap heat from the sun, leading to a rise in the Earth's overall temperature.

2. How does the increase in heat problem affect the environment?

The increase in heat problem has a significant impact on the environment, including melting polar ice caps, rising sea levels, changes in precipitation patterns, and more frequent and severe natural disasters. It also affects various ecosystems and can lead to the extinction of certain species.

3. What are the human activities contributing to the increase in heat problem?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes, are major contributors to the increase in heat problem. These activities release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, intensifying the greenhouse effect and causing global warming.

4. Can we reverse the effects of the increase in heat problem?

While we cannot reverse the effects of global warming entirely, we can slow down and mitigate its impact by reducing our carbon footprint. This includes using renewable energy sources, conserving energy, and promoting sustainable practices.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing the increase in heat problem?

If we do not take action to address the increase in heat problem, the consequences can be severe, including more frequent and severe natural disasters, displacement of communities due to rising sea levels, food and water shortages, and other negative impacts on human health and the environment.