Probability, Bivariate Normal Distribution

In summary, the question asks for the minimum variance of aX+Y, and the answer is given as -p(X,Y)(std dev of X/std dev of Y) where p(X,Y) is the negative correlation coefficient. To solve for this, we use the formula Var(aX+Y) = a^2Var(X)+Var(Y)+2aCov(X,Y) and set it equal to the given answer. After factoring and simplifying, we get the equation -2Cov(X,Y)/2VarX = Cov(X,Y)/VarX. However, this is not the correct answer and further assistance is needed.
WHB3

Homework Statement

Let the probability density function of X and Y be bivariate normal. For what values of a is the variance of aX+Y minimum?

Homework Equations

The answer in the book is -p(X,Y)(std dev of X/std dev of Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the equation for Var(aX+Y) is,
Var(aX+Y)=a^2Var(X)+Var(Y)+2aCov(X,Y), but I have no idea how to work this equation to equal the answer in the book.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

[tex]
Var(aX+Y) = a^2 Var(X) + Var(Y) + 2 a Cov(X,Y)
[/tex]

which, as a function of [tex] a [/tex], looks like a quadratic function. How about you? (There's a hint here :) )

Thanks, Statdad! Your hint was just the insight I needed.

I think I spoke too soon, Statdad.

I can see where the equation Var(aX+Y) is a quadratic equation, but I still can't factor the equation to obtain "-p(X,Y)(std dev of Y/std dev of X)" as one of the factors where -p(X,Y) is the negative correlation coefficient.

I am wondering whether I should be working with a different equation.

Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Remember p(X,Y) = Cov(X,Y)/sqrt(Var(X)Var(Y)).

When I try to factor this equation using the formula we learned in high school, I get

-2Cov(X,Y) +-radical(4Cov^2(X,Y)-4VarXVarY)divided by 2VarX.

Since everything under the radical goes to zero, I am left with

-2Cov(X,Y)/2VarX = Cov(X,Y)/VarX; this is not the answer I should be coming up with.

I still need an answer to this problem, so if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here, I would appreciate the help.

1. What is probability in statistics?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What is the bivariate normal distribution?

The bivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the relationship between two continuous variables. It assumes that the variables are normally distributed and that their joint distribution is also normally distributed.

3. How is the bivariate normal distribution different from the univariate normal distribution?

The univariate normal distribution describes the probability distribution of a single variable, while the bivariate normal distribution describes the joint probability distribution of two variables.

4. What is the correlation coefficient in the bivariate normal distribution?

The correlation coefficient in the bivariate normal distribution measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between the two variables. It ranges from -1 to 1, where -1 indicates a perfect negative relationship, 0 indicates no relationship, and 1 indicates a perfect positive relationship.

5. How is the bivariate normal distribution used in statistical analysis?

The bivariate normal distribution is commonly used in statistical analysis to model the relationship between two variables and make predictions based on this relationship. It is also used in hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and other statistical techniques.