Non-Zero Discrete Distributions

In summary: No. They seem to be asking for circumstances wherein ##E(X|X \neq 0)##, ##\text{Var}\,(X|X \neq 0)## and maybe ##P({\cal A}|X \neq 0)## are almost the same as ##EX##, ##\text{Var}\,X## and ##P({\cal A})##. I think they want you to define "almost the same", for practical purposes.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a discrete random variable whose values $X = x$ can include the value $0$. Some examples are: ##X\sim \text{Binomial}(n,p)## with ##x = 0,1,2,\ldots,n## and ##X\sim \text{Poisson}(\lambda)## with ##x = 0,1,2,3,\ldots## Sometimes we can only observe these variables when ##X = x \neq 0##, i.e. when ##x## is not zero. These distributions are known as the non-zero (adjustments) to the original distributions. For the examples discussed above, they are the Non-Zero Binomial and Non-Zero Poisson respectively. Show that the variable ##Y = x## for ##x \neq 0## has:

1. Probability function ##\text{Pr}(Y=y)=c\text{Pr}(X = x)## for ##x \neq 0## and that ##c = \frac{1}{1-\text{Pr}(X=0)}##.
2. ##E(Y) = cE(X)##.
3. ##\text{Var}(Y) = c\text{Var}(X)+c(1-c)\left((E(X)\right)^2##.
4. With respect to the two non-zero examples above, discuss when this adjustment can be ignored, i.e. it has little impact on the what is actually observed.

Homework Equations

##E(Y) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} y_i \text{Pr}(Y=y)##.
##\text{Var}(Y) = E(Y^2)-E(Y)^2##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not actually sure what they are trying to for 1. 2. and 3. Do we have to apply the actual density functions of the 2 respective distributions above or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of ways you could look at this. One is as a conditional distribution: replace
$$E(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }Y)$$
by
$$E(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0)$$
respectively.

The other is to define a new probability space. If the original probability space is ##(\{0,1,...\},\Sigma, P)## then define a new space ##(\{1,2,...\},\Sigma', P')## such that, for ##A\subseteq \mathbb{N}-\{0\}##, ##P'(A)=\frac{P(A)}{1-P(\{0\})}## and ##\Sigma'=\{S-\{0\}\ |\ S\in\Sigma\}##. Then we can define ##Y## as the restriction of ##X## to ##\{1,2,...\}##.

It's probably easier to go with the first one.

andrewkirk said:
There are a couple of ways you could look at this. One is as a conditional distribution: replace
$$E(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }Y)$$
by
$$E(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0)$$
respectively.

The other is to define a new probability space. If the original probability space is ##(\{0,1,...\},\Sigma, P)## then define a new space ##(\{1,2,...\},\Sigma', P')## such that, for ##A\subseteq \mathbb{N}-\{0\}##, ##P'(A)=\frac{P(A)}{1-P(\{0\})}## and ##\Sigma'=\{S-\{0\}\ |\ S\in\Sigma\}##. Then we can define ##Y## as the restriction of ##X## to ##\{1,2,...\}##.

It's probably easier to go with the first one.
Oh right so ##Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0) = 1-Pr(X=0)##.

squenshl said:
Oh right so ##Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0) = 1-Pr(X=0)##.

NO, NO, NO!
[tex] P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) [/tex]
is given by the usual conditional probability formula, which you should know thoroughly by now.

Ray Vickson said:
NO, NO, NO!
[tex] P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) [/tex]
is given by the usual conditional probability formula, which you should know thoroughly by now.

So ##P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) = \frac{P({\cal A} \cap X \neq 0)}{P(X \neq 0)}##. Can we use a truncated distribution via ##f(x|X>0) = \frac{g(x)}{1-F(0)}## where ##g(x) = f(x)## for all ##x>0## and ##g(x) = 0## everywhere else and ##F(x)## is the CDF?

squenshl said:
So ##P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) = \frac{P({\cal A} \cap X \neq 0)}{P(X \neq 0)}##. Can we use a truncated distribution via ##f(x|X>0) = \frac{g(x)}{1-F(0)}## where ##g(x) = f(x)## for all ##x>0## and ##g(x) = 0## everywhere else and ##F(x)## is the CDF?

You tell me.

How about part 4. With respect to the two non-zero examples above, discuss when this adjustment can be ignored, i.e. it has little impact on the what is actually observed.

Are they asking for an example in which ##x=0## is included?

squenshl said:
How about part 4. With respect to the two non-zero examples above, discuss when this adjustment can be ignored, i.e. it has little impact on the what is actually observed.

Are they asking for an example in which ##x=0## is included?

No. They seem to be asking for circumstances wherein ##E(X|X \neq 0)##, ##\text{Var}\,(X|X \neq 0)## and maybe ##P({\cal A}|X \neq 0)## are almost the same as ##EX##, ##\text{Var}\,X## and ##P({\cal A})##. I think they want you to define "almost the same", for practical purposes.

1. What is a non-zero discrete distribution?

A non-zero discrete distribution is a probability distribution in which the values can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values, and the probability of each value is greater than zero. This means that the probability of any particular value occurring is non-zero, unlike in continuous distributions where there is an infinite number of possible values and the probability of any specific value is zero.

2. How is a non-zero discrete distribution different from a continuous distribution?

A non-zero discrete distribution differs from a continuous distribution in that it only allows for a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values, while a continuous distribution can have an infinite number of possible values. Additionally, in a continuous distribution, the probability of any specific value occurring is zero, while in a non-zero discrete distribution, the probability of each value is non-zero.

3. What types of data can be modeled using a non-zero discrete distribution?

Non-zero discrete distributions are commonly used to model categorical data such as the results of a survey with multiple choice options, or the outcomes of a coin toss. They can also be used to model count data, such as the number of defects in a manufacturing process or the number of customers in a store at a given time.

4. How is the probability of each value determined in a non-zero discrete distribution?

In a non-zero discrete distribution, the probability of each value is determined by the probability mass function (PMF). The PMF assigns a probability to each possible value in the distribution, and the sum of all these probabilities must equal 1. The PMF is typically defined using a mathematical formula or a table of probabilities for each value.

5. Can a non-zero discrete distribution have a normal shape?

No, a non-zero discrete distribution cannot have a normal shape because it only allows for a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values, while a normal distribution has an infinite number of possible values. However, some discrete distributions, such as the binomial distribution, can have a similar shape to a normal distribution under certain conditions.