Complex analysis: Sketch the region in the complex plane

In summary, Rubik says that he is confused as to how to rotate the angle in terms of clockwise or anti-clockwise according to the conditions given. He is also unsure if his radius is in fact a or am I missing an important step. Rubik thanks Rubik for all of his help and says he appreciates it.
Rubik

Homework Statement

Sketch:
{z: [itex]\pi[/itex]?4 < Arg z ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex]}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it right to assume

z0 = 0 ; a = a (radius = a) ; and taking [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 ; [itex]\beta[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]

And now in order to sketch the problem after setting up the complex plane is it correct to to plot z0 at the origin and then from the origin plot [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 by rotating to the right in a clockwise rotation for [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 radians for the first condition and then rotating [itex]\pi[/itex] to the left from the origin (anti-clockwise rotation) for the second condition and then using a solid or dashed line according to the strictly < or ≤ conditions and this gives me the correct region?

Basically I am confused as to how to rotate the angle in terms of clockwise or anti-clockwise according to the conditions given.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I am also unsure if my radius is in fact a or am I missing an important step?

Hi Rubik! :smile:

do you mean {z: [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 < Arg z ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex]} ?
Rubik said:
… by rotating to the right in a clockwise rotation for [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 radians for the first condition and then rotating [itex]\pi[/itex] to the left from the origin (anti-clockwise rotation) for the second condition …

no, everything is always anti-clockwise

i'm worried why you thought it wasn't :confused:

(and i don't understand where radius comes into it)

Oops yep I meant [itex]\pi[/itex]/4.. I was worried asking it haha it has been a long time since I have had to work with complex numbers.. Another thing I have just come across is the region {z : |z - 3 + i| < 4} Does this mean that z0 = (-3,i), and the radius = 4?

Rubik said:
{z : |z - 3 + i| < 4} Does this mean that z0 = (-3,i), and the radius = 4?

no, the centre is 3 - i

With the first part from your first reply I said radius = a because I am trying to sketch the particular region covered by these angles or is that wrong?

Rubik said:
With the first part from your first reply I said radius = a because I am trying to sketch the particular region covered by these angles or is that wrong?

I still don't understand this at all.

What is a, and what has the radius to do with anything? :confused:

Well I am not sure I just took it as an assuption.. See if I try and sketch this region I draw both these angles taking them anti-clockwise from the origin, which leaves a region in the 1st and 2nd quadrants and I am just confused as I thought I was suppose to be left with a closed region but is this not the case? I am sorry if this still makes no sense it is hard to explain a drawing in words. :/ So currently I have a line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex] going anti-clockwise from (0,0) and then another line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 from (0,0) Is that how the region is suppose to look?

Rubik said:
… I have a line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex] going anti-clockwise from (0,0) and then another line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 from (0,0) Is that how the region is suppose to look?

Yup. There's no restriction on |z|, so the region goes to infinity.

Goodnight! :zzz:​

Oh okay thanks so much for all your help and sticking with me through all my confusion! I appreciate it :D

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. What does it mean to sketch a region in the complex plane?

Sketching a region in the complex plane means visually representing a subset of the complex plane using geometric shapes and symbols. This helps to better understand the properties and behavior of complex functions within that region.

3. How do you determine the region in the complex plane for a given complex function?

The region in the complex plane for a given complex function is determined by analyzing the behavior of the function and identifying the set of complex numbers for which the function is defined and continuous. This region can be further refined by considering any singularities or branch cuts of the function.

4. What are some common techniques for sketching regions in the complex plane?

Some common techniques for sketching regions in the complex plane include using real and imaginary axes, plotting points, drawing curves or circles, and shading in regions to represent inequalities or conditions for a function.

5. How does sketching regions in the complex plane help in understanding complex functions?

Sketching regions in the complex plane helps in understanding complex functions by providing visual representations of the behavior of the function. It can also help in identifying patterns, symmetries, and relationships between different parts of the function, which can aid in solving problems and making predictions about the behavior of the function.