Surface integral (Flux) with cylinder and plane intersections

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a surface integral with a given vector field over a closed surface composed of a portion of a cylinder and portions of planes. The attempt at a solution includes setting up integrals for each surface and using cylindrical coordinates. However, there are some mistakes in the normal vectors and the results do not make sense. Further guidance is requested on how to tackle the remaining surfaces.
CAF123 said:
I see that this implies that dS = r dr dθ. But in the example from the website they also have dA = r dr dθ. How does this follow if dA = dr dθ? How can it equal two different things?

They are two different uses of the symbol 'dA'. They are two different things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
They are two different uses of the symbol 'dA'. They are two different things.
Ok, thanks. I think this also answers one of my other questions: The form dA=dr dθ is not really an area element because the dimensions don't check out. What is the difference between the two forms?

CAF123 said:
Ok, thanks. I think this also answers one of my other questions: The form dA=dr dθ is not really an area element because the dimensions don't check out. What is the difference between the two forms?

We've been over that several times already. dr dθ is the area element without the jacobian part 'r'. You use that in the cross product form of the surface integral because the cross product contains the jacobian part, 'r'. If you are just integrating a function in polar coordinates you want the full area element, i.e. with jacobian r dr dθ.

Dick said:
We've been over that several times already. dr dθ is the area element without the jacobian part 'r'. You use that in the cross product form of the surface integral because the cross product contains the jacobian part, 'r'. If you are just integrating a function in polar coordinates you want the full area element, i.e. with jacobian r dr dθ.
Ok, everything makes sense. Thanks so much!