What Could Be the Mistake in Calculating Displacement Direction?

It seems that the book may have made a mistake in their answer. Your calculations show that the displacement is actually 15 degrees west of north, not east of south. This could be due to a mix-up in the quadrant or a simple error in the book. Regardless, your method and reasoning are correct. In summary, the explorer's displacement is 15 degrees west of north, not east of south as stated in the book. This could be due to a mistake in the book.
rleung3
Hi,

I solved this problem, but I don't agree with the book answer and can't seem to figure out what I did wrong.

An explorer in the dense jungles of equatorial Africa leaves his hut. He takes 40.0 steps at an angle 45.0 north of east (vector A), then 80.0 steps at an angle 60.0 north of west (vector B), then 53.0 steps due south (vector C). Calculate the direction of displacement.

I disagree with the answer in this problem. The answer is 15 degrees east of south, but I have solved it several times and I keep on getting 15 degrees west of north. I don't see how you would end in the the 4th quadrant. I keep ending up in the 2nd. Is this perhaps a mistake on the part of the book?

Here is what I did:

Ax = 40cos45 = 28.28
Ay=40sin45 = 28.28
Bx=80cos120 = -40
By = 80sin120 = 69.28
Cx = 0
Cy = -53

x-component = 28.28 - 40 = -11.72
y-component = 28.28 + 69.28 - 53 = 44.56

arctan(44.56/11.72) = 75.3 degrees north of west, or 15 degree west of south.

I was just sitting for a long time trying to find out where I went wrong but couldn't. Thanks so much.

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your findings.

Thank you for sharing your calculations and thought process. It seems like you have approached the problem correctly and your answer of 15 degrees west of north does make sense based on the given information. It is possible that there is a mistake in the book's answer or in the way they have presented the problem. As scientists, it is important for us to question and critically analyze information, so it is good that you have noticed this discrepancy and are trying to understand it. I would suggest double checking your calculations and considering the possibility of a mistake in the book. If you are still unsure, you can always consult with your instructor or a peer to get a second opinion. Keep up the good work!

1. What is displacement direction?

Displacement direction is the direction in which an object moves from its original position to its final position. It is a vector quantity that describes both the distance and direction of an object's movement.

2. How is displacement direction different from distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that only describes the length of the path an object takes, while displacement direction is a vector quantity that includes both distance and direction. For example, if an object moves 5 meters to the east and then 5 meters to the north, its distance traveled would be 10 meters, but its displacement direction would be 7.07 meters at a 45 degree angle northeast.

3. How do you calculate displacement direction?

Displacement direction can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or sine, to determine the angle of the displacement in relation to the horizontal and vertical axes. The magnitude of the displacement can also be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can displacement direction be negative?

Yes, displacement direction can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the reference point. For example, if an object moves 10 meters to the left of its starting point, its displacement direction would be -10 meters.

5. How is displacement direction used in real life?

Displacement direction is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to describe the motion of objects. It is also used in navigation and mapping systems, where it helps determine the direction and distance between two points. Additionally, it is used in sports, such as baseball and golf, to measure the direction and distance of a player's movements.