Double majoring in engineering and liberal arts

• Programs
  • Thread starter Staudinger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, if you are looking to get into a materials engineering program in the US, a second degree in philosophy might be a good idea.
Staudinger
Hey all, I've got a academic question for you.

I have been wondering if a second degree in philosophy (science and math option) in addition to my degree in materials engineering would be a help in getting into a materials phd program in the US? I have a 2.9 GPA, which is extremely low, due to family problems these last two semesters. That alone should be crippling to my chances, but I am only a sophomore, and have two and a half years, at least, to bring it up. I love both subjects, but I can only see myself teaching and working in engineering at the University level. Philosophy is a way for me to "ground" what I learn in technical classes, if that makes any sense. I'm currently registered for a philosophy minor, but it looks more and more like I'll be able to complete the BA in an extra semester. In addition, I have research experience in an unrelated department through a women in technology initiative, and I will be applying to a lab in my department for the spring. I am in a handful of engineering, political, and sports clubs, but I understand that these don't matter as much for graduate school admissions. Would a minor in philosophy and a minor in chemistry be better, admissions-wise?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking simply for a way to get into graduate school, before applying for a dual major, I would suggest talking to someone in the materials engineering department about materials related research. Chances are, you could probably even get paid to do something in the materials lab. Do what you can to learn the tools relevant to materials engineering. If you can pull it off, a good recommendation by someone you work for would be more of a benefit than an extra degree in philosophy.

If you really want a degree in philosophy, go for it, but not as a means to get into materials engineering.

That's a great point, I guess I'm looking for a way to justify the extra degree to my parents. I think I'm going to go for it, and apply to the labs I was looking at. Thanks!

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in engineering and liberal arts?

Double majoring in engineering and liberal arts can provide a unique and well-rounded education. It allows you to combine technical skills and knowledge with critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills. This can make you a more versatile and desirable candidate for job opportunities in both fields.

2. Is it difficult to double major in engineering and liberal arts?

Double majoring in any two fields can be challenging and requires careful planning and time management. However, engineering and liberal arts may have different course requirements and course loads, which can make it more challenging. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to create a feasible plan and stay on track.

3. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in engineering and liberal arts?

It is possible to graduate on time with a double major in engineering and liberal arts, but it may require taking summer classes or extra courses during the regular semesters. Again, working closely with your academic advisor and staying organized and dedicated can help you achieve this goal.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a double major in engineering and liberal arts?

Having a double major in engineering and liberal arts can open up a variety of career opportunities. Some options may include engineering management, technical writing, consulting, or even entrepreneurship. You may also have the option to pursue advanced degrees in either field.

5. How can I decide if double majoring in engineering and liberal arts is right for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding on a double major. If you have a passion for both fields and believe that the combination will benefit your future goals, then double majoring in engineering and liberal arts may be a good fit for you. It is also helpful to talk to current students or alumni who have pursued a similar path to gain more insight and advice.