Testing Equality of Time Series: Statistical Analysis for Comparison

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in testing the statistical difference between two time series and potentially determining if they are equal or if their difference is statistically different from zero. They are open to suggestions such as hiring a statistician or using tests for equivalence of distributions. Some possible solutions suggested include using a t-test for equality of means, testing for equivalence of distributions using methods such as the Chi-square or Kolmogorov-Smirnov tests, or expressing the series as order statistics and testing for their equivalence.
kylemacr
Hi All,

I've searched the web up and down, and a few textbooks, all to no avail.

I have two time series (of 30 elements each), and I'd like to test if they are statistically different from each other (I suppose this could be reworded as, "are they equal" or "is their difference statistically different from zero"). I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that.

any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kylemacr said:
Hi All,

I've searched the web up and down, and a few textbooks, all to no avail.

I have two time series (of 30 elements each), and I'd like to test if they are statistically different from each other (I suppose this could be reworded as, "are they equal" or "is their difference statistically different from zero"). I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that.

any ideas?

Thanks!

Hire a statistician?

What kind of equality? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_variable#Equivalence_of_random_variables

"Equality of means" is relatively easy to test (e.g. t-test). "Equality of distributions" is harder, although I can think of the following:

1. You can study tests for equivalence of distributions, such as http://www.lesn.appstate.edu/olson/stat_directory/Statistical%20procedures/Chi_square/Chi_square_test_for_equality_of_distributions.htm or Kolmogorov-Smirnov.

2. You can calculate the Gini coefficient then test whether it equals zero. (This may be a version of the K-S test.)

3. If you know their distributions, you can express each series as 30 successive order statistics, and jointly test their equivalence for as many orders as your degrees of freedom will let you. You'll need to derive the distribution of the difference between two order statistics, X(k) - Y(k), for k = 1 through 30, which can take some algebraic work.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of "Equality of Time Series" in the context of scientific research?

Equality of Time Series refers to the comparison of two or more sets of data over the same time period. This allows for the identification of patterns, trends, and relationships between variables.

2. How is "Equality of Time Series" different from other types of data analysis?

Equality of Time Series is unique in that it focuses on the relationship between variables over time, rather than just comparing them at a single point in time. This allows for a deeper understanding of the dynamics and changes within a system.

3. What are some common methods used to measure "Equality of Time Series"?

Some common methods include statistical tests such as cross-correlation, autoregression, and time series regression. Visual techniques such as scatter plots, line graphs, and heatmaps can also be used to identify patterns and relationships.

4. How can "Equality of Time Series" be used in scientific research?

"Equality of Time Series" can be used in a variety of fields, such as economics, ecology, meteorology, and social sciences. It can help to identify patterns and trends, forecast future outcomes, and inform decision making.

5. What are some limitations of using "Equality of Time Series" in scientific research?

One limitation is the assumption of linearity, which may not always hold true in real-world systems. Additionally, the accuracy of results may be affected by missing or incomplete data. It is also important to consider potential confounding variables that may impact the relationship between the variables being analyzed.