Why Don't We Feel the Earth's Movement When We Jump?

• Thread starter Fuz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: If the Earth were to suddenly decelerate, you would feel the effects immediately. If you were on a train that suddenly accelerated, you would feel the effects immediately.
Fuz
So after swim practice I was waiting for my ride and pondering the universe. I was thinking about the Earths orbit around the sun and rotation around its axis. I then came across a very interesting question...

If I were to simply jump straight up into the air, why doesn't the Earth move right under my feet? Assuming that there is no wind and stuff like that, why do I land in the exact same place I jumped from? Wouldn't the Earth just move really fast under me until I hit the ground?

Hope my question made sense :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same reason you can jump on an airplane and not hit the back wall. You share the Earth's velocity. At the equator, Earth rotates at about 1000 mph. If you stood on the equator, you also share this velocity, so when you jump, the Earth does move, but so do you, so you land in the same place.

At higher latitudes, you actually don't land on the same spot. After jumping, while in the air, you have a great circle trajectory, while the ground does not. But the amount of deflection for a human jump is negligible. Missiles and other objects on ballistic trajectories need to take this into account.

Let's change the experiment a little to make the understanding easier. Imagine you're on a train running straight ahead at an even speed. If you jump, why doesn't the train move forward under your feet?

Cheers,
Mike

Inertia.

If you jump straight upward on a moving train that has a constant velocity, in your frame of reference you go straight up and down. In the frame of reference of someone standing on the ground and watching you, your path was a parabola.

why doesn't the train move forward under your feet?

Your parabolic path has a constant horizontal component of velocity that is the same as the constant velocity of the train.

tony873004 said:
At higher latitudes, you actually don't land on the same spot. After jumping, while in the air, you have a great circle trajectory, while the ground does not. But the amount of deflection for a human jump is negligible. Missiles and other objects on ballistic trajectories need to take this into account.

The Coriolis force if you jump up is actually proportial to cos(latitude), greatest at the equator and 0 at the poles. [itex] 2 \Omega \times v [/itex] has a magnitude of [itex] 2 \pi v cos(latitude) / T [/itex]

Try and think of what would happen if just after you jumped the train locked up its breaks.

OUCH!

Well what would happen if the Earth were to suddenly decelerate or accelerate? Would we feel the effects immediately?

Fuz said:
Well what would happen if the Earth were to suddenly decelerate or accelerate? Would we feel the effects immediately?
If you were on a train that suddenly accelerated, would you feel it? Same thing.

What is "Traveling with the Earth"?

"Traveling with the Earth" refers to the concept that as the Earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the sun, we are all moving through space at incredible speeds.

How fast are we traveling with the Earth?

The Earth rotates at a speed of approximately 1,000 miles per hour at the equator, and revolves around the sun at a speed of about 67,000 miles per hour. This means that we are all traveling through space at a combined speed of over 68,000 miles per hour!

How does this affect our daily lives?

While we may not feel the Earth's movement, it affects our concept of time. The rotation of the Earth is the reason for day and night, and the revolution around the sun is the reason for the changing seasons. It also affects the length of our days and years.

Can we change our speed of travel with the Earth?

As individuals, we cannot change our speed of travel with the Earth. However, scientists and engineers have developed technology to travel faster through space, such as rockets and satellites.

Is there any danger to traveling with the Earth?

No, there is no danger to traveling with the Earth. The Earth's rotation and revolution have been happening for billions of years and will continue to do so without any negative effects on our planet or its inhabitants.