Can a High Schooler Start Planning for a Ph.D in Engineering?

• Thread starter nicknaq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Ph.d
In summary: Yes, it is a very good program. It is ranked #1 in Canada for Chemical Engineering and #2 for Physical Sciences.
nicknaq
They seem so similar, at least in the research, Ph.D area.

I am in grade 12 right now, the last year of high school. I am 100% willing to pursue a Ph.D down the road, as I know that is required for research jobs. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bump! This is really a pressing decision for me so ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Oh! I have some good news too!
I've been accepted into: (drum roll)
McGill Chemical Engineering
McGill Physical Sciences
Waterloo Nanotech Engineering
Waterloo Physical Sciences
University of Saskatchewan Physics

And Shad Valley for the summer. Yahoo!

Now I need your input!

Thanks everyone.

I suppose it would depend on what kind of research you're interested in. Going the physics route will lead more directly into the more fundamental type research. Although, that isn't always the case. The research I'm involved in is entirely applied physics. It's fairly common advice here that if you chose that path, not to count on an academic position as they are few and far between. That's not to say that there are no jobs for physicists. Most of us do reasonably well, even outside of academia.

Going the engineering route will give you a specific profession, but the opportunities for getting involved in research, especially at the fundamental level, will not be as numerous. Also the skill set is somewhat different from that of a physicist as there is more emphasis placed on design and application of known principles.

The good news is that it's not actually that difficult to switch. Take a reasonably general first year if you haven't decided and get involved with different student groups to learn more about each area. From an undergraduate point of view transferring after first year can seem tough because it can add on an extra semester to the time it takes to graduate, but an extra semester in the grand scheme of things really isn't that big of a deal if it gets you where you want to be.

Choppy said:
It's fairly common advice here that if you chose that path, not to count on an academic position as they are few and far between.

Really?? That's news to me. Are you saying that it is a risk I shouldn't be taking - banking on a job in academia?

Choppy said:
The good news is that it's not actually that difficult to switch.

That's what I'm leaning towards- a general first year enrolled in physical sciences. Then I can switch. I'm also even considering Environment. I think it would be so sweet to do field work.

by the way, does anyone have any reviews of McGill's faculty of science or engineering?

nicknaq said:
Really?? That's news to me. Are you saying that it is a risk I shouldn't be taking - banking on a job in academia?

Yes. Jobs in academia can be hard to comeby, near impossible depending on the topic of interest. Each working academic will mentor numbers up-to tens of PhD students. These students are then all competing with each other for jobs: it can be especially difficult since those in academia will most often stay there, the jobs last a long time.

nicknaq said:
That's what I'm leaning towards- a general first year enrolled in physical sciences. Then I can switch. I'm also even considering Environment. I think it would be so sweet to do field work.

To be honest, though it is great to get an idea of where you would like to go - such that it acts as a motivation for success in your studies, it's advisable to not focus too much on things like a PhD just yet. You've still got a long way to go and a lot to learn about where you would like to end up.

Hopefully covering things in your general physical sciences first year will give you a better understanding of which course you would prefer as an undergraduate - this will give a flavour for research also, engineers and physicists tackle potentially very different subject matters.

nicknaq said:
Bump! This is really a pressing decision for me so ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Oh! I have some good news too!
I've been accepted into: (drum roll)
McGill Chemical Engineering
McGill Physical Sciences
Waterloo Nanotech Engineering
Waterloo Physical Sciences
University of Saskatchewan Physics

And Shad Valley for the summer. Yahoo!

Now I need your input!

Thanks everyone.

Wow that's really impressive, Engineering in McGill?

flyingpig said:
Wow that's really impressive, Engineering in McGill?

Thanks bro
Is it a good program ? I don't know anything about it to be honest. I'm just going there cause I like Montreal a lot

Related to Can a High Schooler Start Planning for a Ph.D in Engineering?

What is the purpose of "Exploring the Path to a Ph.D: A High Schooler's Journey"?

The purpose of this book is to provide high school students with a comprehensive guide on how to pursue a Ph.D. It covers topics such as choosing a research area, finding a mentor, and preparing for graduate school.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is high school students who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in a STEM field.

What makes this book different from other resources on pursuing a Ph.D?

This book is unique because it is written from the perspective of a high school student who successfully navigated the path to a Ph.D. It provides practical advice and personal insights that are not found in other resources.

How can this book benefit high school students?

This book can benefit high school students by providing them with a roadmap for pursuing a Ph.D. It can help them make informed decisions about their academic and career paths, and give them a head start in preparing for graduate school.

Are there any resources or tools included in the book?

Yes, the book includes a list of helpful resources and tools that can aid high school students in their journey towards a Ph.D. These include websites, books, and programs that provide valuable information and guidance for aspiring Ph.D. students.