Physical meaning of lagrangian

In summary, the physical meaning of L=0 is that the system has no dynamics at that point. It is not ridiculous, as the dynamics depends on what function the Lagrangian is.
hasanhabibul
i have some question about lagrangian ...here are those

1) what is the physical meaning of L=0 .. from wiki ..i have found .."The Lagrangian, L, of a dynamical system is a function that summarizes the dynamics of the system." that means when L=0 ..the system has no dynamics ..as far as i know a free falling body has T=V in the midpoint ..that means it has no dynamics in the midpoint ..is not it ridiculous??

2)in the actual path time integral of lagrangian is minimum ..we know L=T-V ..if V becomes larger then the potential become larger that means if potential increases ..it needs less time to go one point to another..that is so peculiar to me .. it should be V-T ,or anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
The dynamics depends on what function the Lagrangian is, not on what value it has at a specific point in its domain. Let's look at an example. For a single non-relativistic particle in one dimension, the lagrangian L is defined by

[tex]L(a,b)=\frac{1}{2}mb^2-V(a)[/tex]

for all a and b in some subset of the real numbers. V is the potential function, and m is the mass of the particle. You use the lagrangian to construct the action S, which is a function that takes a curve x in spacetime to a number S[x]:

[tex]S[x]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}L(x(t),x'(t))dt[/tex]

("Spacetime" in this case is the set [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] and a "curve in spacetime" is a continuous function [itex]x:[t_1,t_2]\rightarrow\mathbb R^2[/itex]). In this approach to mechanics, the axiom that replaces Newton's second law says that the particle will move as described by the curve x that minimizes the action. This condition leads to the Euler-Lagrange equations for the physical system represented by the Lagrangian, and in this case there's only one:

[tex]mx''(t)=-V'(x(t))[/tex]

This is of course just Newton's 2nd law.

Last edited:
I'll just add a derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation for this simple Lagrangian, because I think this kind of stuff is fun, and because similar questions have come up before, and I expect them to come up again.

Let [itex]x:[t_1,t_2]\rightarrow\mathbb R^2[/itex] be the curve that minimizes the action. Let [itex]\big\{x_\epsilon:[t_1,t_2]\rightarrow\mathbb R^2\big\}[/tex] be an arbitrary one-parameter family of curves such that [itex]x_0=x[/itex] and [tex]x_\epsilon(t_1)=x_\epsilon(t_2)[/itex] for all [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

If it it's not 100% clear already, I mean that each [itex]x_\epsilon[/itex] is a curve, that the one with [itex]\epsilon=0[/itex] is the one that minimizes the action, and that all of these curves have the same endpoints as x.

We have

[tex]0=\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 S[x_\epsilon]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 L(x_\epsilon,x'_\epsilon(t))dt=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\bigg(L_{,1}(x(t),x'(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)+L_{,2}(x(t),x'(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x'_\epsilon(t) \bigg)dt[/tex]

The notation [itex]L_{,i}[/itex] means the ith partial derivative of L. There's a trick we can use to rewrite the last term above.

[tex]L_{,2}(x(t),x'(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x'_\epsilon(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(L_{,2}(x(t),x'(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)\bigg)-\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(L_{,2}(x(t),x'(t))\bigg)\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0[/tex]

We have

[tex]L_{,1}(a,b)=\frac{d}{da}\Big(\frac 1 2 mb^2-V(a)\Big)=-V'(a)[/tex]

[tex]L_{,2}(a,b)=\frac{d}{db}\Big(\frac 1 2 mb^2-V(a)\Big)=mb[/tex]

so

[tex]L_{,1}(x(t),x'(t))=V'(x(t))[/tex]

[tex]L_{,2}(x(t),x'(t))=mx'(t)[/tex]

This turns the equation into

[tex]0=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\bigg(-V'(x(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)+mx'(t)\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x'_\epsilon(t) \bigg)dt[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\bigg(-V'(x(t))\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)+\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(mx'(t)\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)\bigg)-mx''(t)\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t)\bigg)dt[/tex]

The last step might look weird, but the only thing I'm doing there is to use the product rule for derivatives. The integral of the middle term is actually =0, because the assumption that all the curves have the same endpoints implies that

[tex]\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t_1)=\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t_2)=0[/tex]

All we have left after throwing away the zero term is

[tex]0=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\bigg(-V'(x(t))-mx''(t)\bigg)\frac{d}{d\epsilon}\bigg|_0 x_\epsilon(t) dt[/tex]

But the fact that this is supposed to hold for arbitrary one-parameter families of curves that satisfy the necessary requirements means that we can choose that derivative to the right of the parentheses to be any continuous function of t that we want, and the integral is still supposed to be =0. This is only possible if the expression in parentheses is =0, so we end up with

[tex]mx''(t)=-V'(x(t))=F(x(t))[/tex]

as promised.

1. What is the physical meaning of the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical quantity that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and velocity. It represents the total energy of the system and is used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from other physical quantities?

The Lagrangian is a more fundamental quantity compared to other physical quantities, such as force or energy. It takes into account both the kinetic and potential energies of a system and is independent of the coordinate system used to describe the system.

3. How is the Lagrangian used in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for a system, known as the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations describe the evolution of the system over time and can be used to solve for the position and velocity of the system at any given time.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used in other branches of physics?

Yes, the Lagrangian can also be used in other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and field theory. In these fields, the Lagrangian is used to construct the equations of motion and describe the dynamics of the system in terms of quantum states or fields.

5. What is the principle of least action and how is it related to the Lagrangian?

The principle of least action states that a physical system will follow a path that minimizes the action, which is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is closely related to the Lagrangian and is used to derive the equations of motion for a system in a more intuitive way.