What does it mean for a Lagrangian to have "explicit" time dependence?

In summary, the two Lagrangians discussed have different explicit time dependence, but result in the same equations of motion. This is due to the fact that any two Lagrangians are equivalent if they differ by a total time derivative. The foundation of the Lagrangian approach is to treat q, q̇ and t as independent variables.
aliens123
Suppose I had a Lagrangian
$$L = q+ \dot{q}^2 + t.$$
This has explicit time dependence. Now consider another Lagrangian:
$$L = q+ \dot{q}^2 .$$
Which has no explicit time dependence. But after solving for the equations of motion, I get $$\dot{q} = t/2 + C.$$
So I could now write my Lagrangian as:
$$L = q+ (t/2 + C)^2 .$$
Now it has explicit time dependence.

Physics news on Phys.org
aliens123 said:
Suppose I had a Lagrangian
$$L = q+ \dot{q}^2 + t.$$
This has explicit time dependence. Now consider another Lagrangian:
$$L = q+ \dot{q}^2 .$$
Which has no explicit time dependence. But after solving for the equations of motion, I get $$\dot{q} = t/2 + C.$$
So I could now write my Lagrangian as:
$$L = q+ (t/2 + C)^2 .$$
Now it has explicit time dependence.
The Lagrangian is not an equation of motion. The Lagrangian is used to obtain the equations of motion. You cannot substitute an equation of motion back into the Lagrangian.

The foundation of the Lagrangian approach is to treat ##q##, ##\dot q## and ##t## as independent variables and not as dynamic quantities that are related to each other.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
The two Lagrangians are equivalent and thus describing the same physical system. The equations of motion are the same. It's very easy to show by explicitly evaluating the Euler-Lagrange equations that any two Lagrangians ##L## and ##L'## are equivalent iff
$$L'(q,\dot{q},t)=L(q,\dot{q},t)+\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Omega(q,t),$$
for an arbitrary function ##\Omega##.

That's equivalent to the demand that the variation ##\delta S## of the action is unchanged, which of course implies that the Euler-Lagrange equations are the same.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence?

A Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system over time. It includes terms that explicitly depend on time, meaning that the equations of motion for the system will change over time.

2. How is a Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence different from one without?

A Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence differs from one without in that it includes terms that explicitly depend on time, whereas a Lagrangian without explicit time dependence does not. This means that the equations of motion for a system with an explicit time-dependent Lagrangian will change over time, while the equations of motion for a system with a time-independent Lagrangian will remain constant.

3. What is the significance of "explicit" time dependence in a Lagrangian?

The significance of "explicit" time dependence in a Lagrangian is that it allows for the description of systems that change over time, such as systems with time-varying forces or constraints. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of physical systems.

4. Can a Lagrangian have both explicit and implicit time dependence?

Yes, a Lagrangian can have both explicit and implicit time dependence. This means that it can include terms that explicitly depend on time, as well as terms that depend on time through other variables. In this case, the equations of motion will still change over time, but the time dependence may not be as straightforward.

5. How does a Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence affect the Hamiltonian?

A Lagrangian with "explicit" time dependence affects the Hamiltonian by introducing a time derivative term in the Hamiltonian equations of motion. This means that the Hamiltonian will also have explicit time dependence, and the equations of motion will change over time accordingly. However, the total energy of the system, which is represented by the Hamiltonian, will still be conserved.