Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sin(theta)

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding points on a curve in polar coordinates where the tangent lines are horizontal or vertical. The curve, denoted as C, is represented by the equation r=2+3sinθ and is sketched on the Cartesian plane with the pole at O and the positive x-axis as the polar axis. The attempt at a solution involves converting the curve to Cartesian coordinates and using the product rule to find the partial derivative of x with respect to θ. The resulting equation has a remaining term with r, but it is noted that this is not necessary for sketching the curve.
xspook

Homework Statement

Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sinθ.
Consider the usual Cartesian plane and take O as the pole and the positive x-axis as the polar axis.

Find points on the curve C where the tangent lines are horizontal or vertical and sketch the curve C.

Homework Equations

[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=[itex]r^{2}[/itex]
x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ
tanθ=[itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

PART 1
For some reason I feel like the addition of 2 is throwing me off

r=2+3[itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
[itex]r^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y=2
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]=2+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+(y-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex][itex])^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{17}{4}[/itex]??

I don't know where to go from the last line above for the center, maybe ([itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex],0)??...

PART 2
I know also that I am supposed to take
[itex]\frac{∂r}{∂θ}[/itex] which is 3cosθ

when I take
[itex]\frac{∂x}{∂θ}[/itex] do I take the derivative of x=2+3([itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex])([itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex])?? And similarly for [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂θ}[/itex].

Lastly I know I have to take [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂x}[/itex] which I hope I can easily do after I sort out the issue above.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] r = 2+3\frac{y}{r}[/itex] should become [itex] r^2 = 2r+3y [/itex]

You don't need to convert your curve to cartesian coordinates to sketch it though... you can plot them directly by finding the location of a bunch of points and drawing a curve through them

For [itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}[/itex] You should use [itex] x = r\cos(\theta) [/itex] and do the product rule

What do I end up doing with the 2r now?

All of my examples from class always end up looking like
[itex]r^{2}[/itex]=(some coefficient)(a variable)
we never have a term with r remaining

I guess I could divide by 2 and get r by itself

r=([itex]\frac{x}{2})^{2}[/itex]+([itex]\frac{y}{2})^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3y}{2}[/itex]

but I don't know what I would do with that.

1. What is the equation for curve C in polar coordinates?

The equation for curve C in polar coordinates is r=2+3sin(theta).

2. How do I graph curve C in polar coordinates?

To graph curve C in polar coordinates, plot points by substituting different values for theta in the equation. Then, connect the points to form the curve.

3. What is the shape of curve C?

The shape of curve C is a cardioid, which resembles a heart shape.

4. How does the value of r change as theta increases or decreases?

As theta increases or decreases, the value of r will also increase or decrease, respectively. This results in a curve that expands and contracts around the origin.

5. Can curve C be represented in Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, curve C can be represented in Cartesian coordinates by converting the polar equation to rectangular form. In this case, it would be x^2+y^2=2x+3y.