Register to reply

Comparison between metals and semiconductors

by 002088iverson
Tags: comparison, metals, semiconductors
Share this thread:
002088iverson
Jun6-14, 11:31 PM
P: 3
Hey guys ive got an assignment. I need a comparison between a normal conductor and a semiconductor and why a classical understanding isnt enough to explain how an SC works. Also are there any electrical properties of an SC besides decreasing resisitivity at higher temps?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Simon Bridge
Jun7-14, 12:40 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,434
Welcome to PF;
Review the classical treatment of how conduction and resistance happens.
Look up "band theory of solids" for how conductors, semi-conductors, and resistors get classified.

Semi-conductor behavior can get very complicated.
There are lots of properties besides the temperature dependence of resistivity.
002088iverson
Jun7-14, 01:14 AM
im not allowed to use band structures :/

ZapperZ
Jun7-14, 05:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Comparison between metals and semiconductors

Quote Quote by 002088iverson View Post
im not allowed to use band structures :/
Yet, you neglected to state this in your original post. Care to list out any further constraints to this assignment before one of us wastes our time and effort giving you a response that you can't use?

BTW, is this a school-related work that should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum instead?

Zz.
002088iverson
Jun7-14, 05:25 AM
I apologise, this is the first time I've used a forum. I just saw solid state physics so I thought it'd go in there
Simon Bridge
Jun7-14, 06:59 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,434
band-theory as a search term will get you the information you need even though you cannot use the band theory itself. You will want some sort of historical overview leading up to band theory - that should actually tell you why band theory is needed.

You still need to spell out the classical theory of conduction and look for properties of semi-conduction that do not fit.

Register to reply