R Network- finding total resistance.

In summary, the net resistance between points a and c in the given network is 1.313 Ω. This can be found by using the equation for resistors in series and the observation that the R' resistors do not contribute to the net resistance. The net resistance between points a and b can be found in a similar manner by using the equation for resistors in parallel and taking into account the voltage divider effect.
GDGirl

Homework Statement

Assuming R = R' = 1.97 Ω in the network shown above, determine the net resistance

a) between the points a and c
b) between points a and b.
HELP: Use symmetry.
HELP: Imagine applying a voltage between a and c and think about what current will flow in each resistor.

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/Knox/phys130a/spring/homework/09/02/P26_36.jpg

Homework Equations

Series: Rtotal=R1+R2
Parallel: Rtotal=(R1-1+R2-1)-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I redrew the series in my notebook as parallel and series, but in both attempts at a re-draw, I ended up with a weird branch that wasn't really either series or parallel, because of how it connected. I tried solving it anyway (and have come up with 1.313 for the resistance between a and c) but nothing's been right. I'm just not sure what to do with the weird branch. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that with all the resistors equal to each other that you can drop out the R' resistors that cross between the || branches. At each leg of your || you have a voltage divider with no net voltage across the R'. This should make your calculation a bit easier.

For instance between AC:

1/R + 1/2R + 1/2R = 1/Rac

Oh wow, that makes things a lot simpler. I wasn't aware that I could drop out that resistor. Thank you!

1. What is R Network and why is it important in finding total resistance?

R Network, also known as a resistor network, refers to a series or parallel combination of resistors. It is important in finding total resistance because it allows us to calculate the overall resistance of a circuit, which is crucial in understanding how electricity flows through a circuit.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a series resistor network?

In a series resistor network, the total resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. This can be represented by the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1 to Rn are the individual resistances.

3. What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel resistor network?

In a parallel resistor network, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between resistance and current in a parallel circuit.

4. Can R Network be used in circuits with more than two resistors?

Yes, R Network can be used in circuits with any number of resistors, as long as they are connected in either series or parallel combinations. The formulas for calculating total resistance in series and parallel networks can be applied to any number of resistors.

5. How does R Network affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

R Network affects the flow of electricity by adding resistance to the circuit. In a series network, the total resistance increases as resistors are added, which decreases the flow of current. In a parallel network, the total resistance decreases as resistors are added, which increases the flow of current.