Ground Grid Study: Short Circuit Current Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a ground grid study for a substation in a wind farm. The question is raised about why the short circuit current of the high side (6.399kA) was used instead of the larger low side current (26.825kA). The participant suggests contacting M.S.J for more insight and also shares a link to a relevant document.
tr0ypayne
Short Circuit Current

Hi,

I am reviewing a ground grid study of a substation for a wind farm that is being built. The ground grid will be for a substation with a low side of 34.5kV and two transformers that step the high side voltage up to 345kV. There are six distribution feeders on the low side coming from the wind farm generation and the step up transformers are wye/wye. My question is why was the short circuit current (6.399kA) of the high side used on the ground grid study and not the low side current (26.825kA)? Is this correct? I would think the load side short circuit current would be used since it is larger.

Can any of you give me some insight into this?

Thanks,

Troy

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi tr0ypayne and welcome to PF.

I'm really no expert here but I did work for an electrical utility for a number of years. When we did ground resistance studies we would take resistance readings from the ground grid to points at varying distances out and along the transmission line. The idea was that if the high voltage line should make contact with the earth, ground rise potential would be minimized. (the low side potential is low enough as to not be the major problem) I worked with the SCADA side of the utility and these studies were required by the telco so that high currents didn't get into their system.

You might want to PM M.S.J as he seems to know a lot about power transmission.
Here's his profile page: https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=84682"

Hope this helps a little.

Edit: Here's an ipaper that might be of interest.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/11358767/IEEE-Std-10501996"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help and thoughts. I will send M.S.J. a message. And I am also looking forward to talking to you again when I have a SCADA question.

Thanks again.

1. What is a ground grid study?

A ground grid study is a technical analysis that evaluates the performance of an electrical grounding system. It involves analyzing the flow of current in the ground grid and determining its ability to safely dissipate fault currents.

2. Why is a ground grid study necessary?

A ground grid study is necessary to ensure the safety and reliability of an electrical system. It helps identify potential hazards and weaknesses in the grounding system, allowing for corrective measures to be implemented to prevent equipment damage or personal injury.

3. How is a ground grid study conducted?

A ground grid study is typically conducted using specialized software that simulates fault conditions and calculates the resulting currents in the ground grid. The study may also involve on-site measurements and testing of the grounding system.

4. What is a short circuit current analysis?

A short circuit current analysis is a specific type of ground grid study that focuses on evaluating the performance of the grounding system under fault conditions. It calculates the magnitude and distribution of current in the ground grid during a short circuit event.

5. What are the benefits of a ground grid study for a facility?

A ground grid study can provide numerous benefits for a facility, including improved safety, reduced equipment damage and downtime, compliance with electrical codes and standards, and increased reliability of the electrical system.