Heat Equation + 2 Robin Boundary Conditions

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature distribution in a long thin bar with insulated side walls and heat radiating from the ends into a surrounding medium with zero temperature. The radiation is governed by Newton's Law and the bar has a given initial temperature distribution. The boundary conditions at the ends of the bar should include a negative sign in front of the h/k term to account for the temperature gradient in the positive x direction.
PAR

Homework Statement

Find the temperature distribution in the long thin bar −a ≤ x ≤ a with a
given initial temperature u(x,0) = f(x).
The side walls of the bar are insulated, while heat radiates from the ends into
the surrounding medium whose temperature is u = 0.
The radiation is taken to obey Newton’s Law.

Homework Equations

[tex]u_{t} = \alpha^{2}u_{x}_{x}[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}(-a,t) = (h/k)u(-a,t)[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}(a,t) = -(h/k)u(a,t)[/tex]
[tex]u(x,0) = f(x)[/tex]

h and k are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main concern is: I do not know if according to the problem description, the BCs should be as written above OR
[tex]
u_{x}(-a,t) = -(h/k)u(-a,t)[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}(a,t) = (h/k)u(a,t)[/tex]

I had to construct the BCs myself, they were not given explicitly in equation form.

notice that the only difference is that the negative sign has gone from one equation to the other. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where the negative sign belongs, and perhaps also explain why, I did not fully grasp the explanation I was given in class. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PAR! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
PAR said:
Find the temperature distribution in the long thin bar −a ≤ x ≤ a with a
given initial temperature u(x,0) = f(x).
The side walls of the bar are insulated, while heat radiates from the ends into
the surrounding medium whose temperature is u = 0.
The radiation is taken to obey Newton’s Law.

My main concern is: I do not know if according to the problem description, the BCs should be as written above OR
[tex]
u_{x}(-a,t) = -(h/k)u(-a,t)[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}(a,t) = (h/k)u(a,t)[/tex]

Physics tells us that if u > 0, then the bar is hottest at x = 0 …

so at the +a end, the temperature is decreasing in the + direction (and at the -a end, the temperature is increasing in the + direction).

In other words, at the +a end, ux is negative. :wink:

Does that help? :smile:

If u[tex]_{x}[/tex] is negative in the +x direction at x=+a that means that there should a negative sign in front of the h/k, otherwise that side of the equation wouldn't be negative, right?

(wrong tag! :wink:)
PAR said:
If u[tex]_{x}[/tex] is negative in the +x direction at x=+a that means that there should a negative sign in front of the h/k, otherwise that side of the equation wouldn't be negative, right?

s'right! :biggrin:

What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes how heat is distributed and transferred in a given system. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account factors such as temperature, time, and spatial dimensions.

What are Robin boundary conditions?

Robin boundary conditions are a type of boundary condition used in the heat equation. They specify how heat is transferred at the boundaries of a system, taking into account both the temperature and the heat flux at the boundary.

Why are two Robin boundary conditions used?

Two Robin boundary conditions are used to fully determine a solution to the heat equation. This is because the heat equation is a second-order partial differential equation, meaning that two boundary conditions are needed to solve it.

How are Robin boundary conditions different from other types of boundary conditions?

Robin boundary conditions are unique in that they take into account both the temperature and the heat flux at the boundary. Other types of boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet or Neumann, only consider one of these quantities.

What are some applications of the heat equation with 2 Robin boundary conditions?

The heat equation with 2 Robin boundary conditions has many applications in science and engineering, including modeling heat transfer in materials, predicting temperature distribution in buildings, and simulating heat flow in electronic devices.