Size of beam to hold sagging ceiling?

• Thread starter 1OLDREMODELER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary: Dave1OLDREMODELER: In summary, you would need a beam that is at least 131 mm x 128 mm (W5 x 19), is 160 mm x 102 mm (W6 x 16), or 152 mm x 152 mm (W6 x 15) in size to support the ceiling in your cabin.
1OLDREMODELER
I need some advice, please:
I am remodelling a one story, gable roof, wood construction, cabin built in the 50's. The ceiling has sagged about 1-3/4" across a 17 foot unsupported span at the center of the cabin.
I would like to know what size of a steel or aluminum beam you would recommend to keep the ceiling from sagging any further. Some limiting factors include:
1) Unfortunately the ceiling is low (about 92") to begin with, and
2) There is a nice view that I would like to remain unobstructed, hence the beam would need to span 17 feet with posts at the ends only - none in the middle.
What other info do you need to help me out?
Thanks,
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
1OLDREMODELER: Could you give us the cross-sectional dimensions, and material, of your current 5.2 m (17 ft) sagging beam?

Here is a handy span calculator if you were to go with wood:

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp?species=Mixed+Southern+Pine&size=2x12&grade=No.+1&member=Ceiling+Joists&deflectionlimit=L%2F360&spacing=24&wet=No&incised=No&liveload=20&snowload=-1&deadload=10&submit=Calculate+Maximum+Horizontal+Span

NVN,
THAT'S THE PROBLEM - THERE IS NO BEAM THERE NOW.
Dave

Fred-
Do you have a calculator for beams?
Thanks,
Dave

How many joists do you have running perpendicular to this proposed beam, and what are the joist cross-sectional dimensions, material, and length (width of room)? I am assuming these joists are the bottom, horizontal member of trusses, right? How many trusses (not including the two trusses at the room walls)? Is there a floor surface on top of these joists? Or is there only a ceiling attached below them? How and where do you propose to attach the steel I-beam to the joists?

NVN - All good questions - I will have to check when I am there this weekend. It is a one story, so just insulated attic space above the ceiling - no floor.
The main floor living area is basically one open room (approx. 16 ft x 24 ft - the 24 ft runs N-S) with the exception of a small bedroom (7 ft x 7 ft) in the NW corner. So the 2x4 walls in that corner do add some support for that area, but the rest of the ceiling is unsupported from below. It would be easy (and not very obtrusive) to put a post against the south wall, and another at south side of the door frame to the bedroom, hence the 17 foot dimension for the beam running from post to post N-S across the center of the ceiling to prevent it from sagging any further.
(I learned today that I may be able to get a "surplus" 4" x 2-3/4" stainless steel I-beam cheap - wouldn't that be more than sufficient on top of 4" x 8" posts?)
Dave

1OLDREMODELER: Assuming an applied load on this I-beam of w = 5.243 N/mm, a 102 x 70 mm (S4 x 9.5) I-beam appears inadequate.

Assuming mild steel (instead of stainless steel) and w = 5.243 N/mm, it currently appears the first, second, and third best I-beam choices, in that order, would probably be:
(1) 131 x 128 mm (W5 x 19),
(2) 160 x 102 mm (W6 x 16),
(3) 152 x 152 mm (W6 x 15).​

Let us know the cross section name and exact dimensions (including flange thickness and web thickness), and material, of the I-beam(s) available to you. If you want to use stainless steel, it is slightly weaker than mild steel, and would be a slightly different list than shown above.

The I-beam needs to have good lateral support at each end of the I-beam, and also preferably at the one-third span points, to prevent any lateral movement of the I-beam ends and column tops. You would also need to find out if your foundation can handle the point load below each column.

You might want to find out what the local building code requires. Building codes take into account roof loads that are common to the area (e.g. snow). A local construction contractor might be able to help you.

1. What is the recommended size for a beam to hold up a sagging ceiling?

The recommended size for a beam to hold up a sagging ceiling depends on several factors, such as the weight of the ceiling materials, the span of the beam, and the type of material used for the beam. It is best to consult a structural engineer to determine the appropriate size for your specific situation.

2. How do I know if my ceiling needs a beam for support?

If your ceiling is showing visible signs of sagging, such as cracks, dips, or unevenness, it is likely that it needs additional support. It is important to have a professional assess the situation to determine if a beam is necessary.

3. Can I use any type of beam to hold up my sagging ceiling?

The type of beam you can use will depend on the specific needs of your ceiling. Some common options include steel I-beams, wood beams, and engineered lumber beams. Again, it is best to consult with a structural engineer to determine the best type of beam for your situation.

4. How long will it take to install a beam to hold up a sagging ceiling?

The length of time it takes to install a beam will depend on the size of the beam, the condition of the ceiling, and any other factors that may affect the installation process. In general, it is a good idea to plan for at least a few days for the installation process.

5. Can I install a beam to hold up my sagging ceiling myself?

Installing a beam to support a sagging ceiling is a complex and potentially dangerous task. It is highly recommended to hire a professional contractor or structural engineer to ensure the beam is installed correctly and safely.