Boundedness of Real Number Set E

• Thread starter Ajot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Since x< M, M> -r. Since x> m, m > -r. Therefore -r< m< M. But this means that r is not the larger of M and -m. A contradiction. So there is not such an r.Note that this argument does not depend on the completeness axiom.
Ajot

Show that a set of real numbers E is bounded if and only if there is a positive number r so that |x| <r for all x [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E.

My Attempt:

This is what I have done, and not sure if I am on the right path. Math proofs are pretty difficult for me so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

I knew I had to show both ways of the proof due to the "if and only if"

1. s => r
Set of real numbers E is bounded => a positive number r so that |x| < r for all x [tex]\epsilon[/tex]E.

[tex]\exists[/tex] bounded set E
Assume E: {0 < x < 1} (or { 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1} wasn't sure which one to use)
By the Completeness Axiom, E has a least upper bound
1 is the least upperbound
1 > 0
r= 1
|x| < r
r is the least upper bound and E is bounded

2. r => s
a positive number r so that |x|< r for all x[tex]\epsilon[/tex] E. => set of real numbers E is bounded

[tex]\exists[/tex] r (r > 0)
Let there be a unbounded set of reals E
[tex]\exists[/tex] x (x [tex]\epsilon[\tex] E)
|x| < r (given) therefore by definition of upper bound, r is an upper bound
therefore E is not a unbounded set of reals
E is a bounded set of reals

I feel like there are a lot of holes and I just want to be able to improve my math proofing skills. Thanks for the help.

=)

Physics news on Phys.org
To begin, what's your definition of a set of real numbers being bounded? One common definition is that a non-empty set of real numbers is said to be bounded if it is both bounded above and bounded below. If that's the definition you're using, then it follows that the set E is bounded if there exist real numbers m and M such that E [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [m,M]. Now try to take it from there. Please post again if you need more help.

Petek

Ajot said:

Show that a set of real numbers E is bounded if and only if there is a positive number r so that |x| <r for all x [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E.

My Attempt:

This is what I have done, and not sure if I am on the right path. Math proofs are pretty difficult for me so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

I knew I had to show both ways of the proof due to the "if and only if"

1. s => r
Set of real numbers E is bounded => a positive number r so that |x| < r for all x [tex]\epsilon[/tex]E.

[tex]\exists[/tex] bounded set E
Assume E: {0 < x < 1} (or { 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1} wasn't sure which one to use)
You can't do this. You want to show that if E is any bounded set, then the conclusion is true. You cannot assume that E is any specific set.

By the Completeness Axiom, E has a least upper bound
1 is the least upperbound
1 > 0
r= 1
|x| < r
r is the least upper bound and E is bounded

2. r => s
a positive number r so that |x|< r for all x[tex]\epsilon[/tex] E. => set of real numbers E is bounded

[tex]\exists[/tex] r (r > 0)
Let there be a unbounded set of reals E
[tex]\exists[/tex] x (x [tex]\epsilon[\tex] E)
|x| < r (given) therefore by definition of upper bound, r is an upper bound
therefore E is not a unbounded set of reals
E is a bounded set of reals

I feel like there are a lot of holes and I just want to be able to improve my math proofing skills. Thanks for the help.

=)

Okay, so let's focus on the first part:

I agree that the definition of a bounded set E is what Petek wrote. My concern is that in the problem it wants to prove a positive r such that |x|< r. To me that seems like an upper bound. Am I not getting something here?

Heres a second shot at the first part of my proof,

Let E be a bounded set by an upperbound where there exists Reals m, M such that E [tex]\subseteq[/tex] [m,M]
Let x represent all the numbers in the set E so for all x [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E
(here is where I don't know how to bring in the r)
M is the maximum of the set E therefore M+1 is not the maximum of the set and not an element of the set E
Let M+1 = r
If M < r then x < r
(Not sure if I can assume the below from what I have above)
|x| < r
Therfore, E is a bounded set by an upperbound r

(sorry if the symbols didn't work well, for some reason the ones I want don't show up correctly)

An upper bound is just a number M so that x<M if x is in E.

For example, the set of negative integers: 1 is an upper bound, but |x| can be arbitrarily large if x is a negative integer

For your proof attempt: M is not the maximum of the set, merely an upper bound. There might not even be a maximum of the set. This is a detail and can be fixed relatively easily.

More problematic is that you need to use the fact that x>m to get that |x| is bounded. Just because x is smaller than a number does not mean that |x| is

If A is bounded then, by your definition, there exist M such the x< M for all x in A and there exist m such that m< x for all x in A. Let r be the larger of M and |m|.

If there exist r such that |x|> r, then -r< x< r.

Related to Boundedness of Real Number Set E

What is the definition of "boundedness" in the context of real number sets?

Boundedness refers to the property of a set of real numbers, E, where there exists a range or interval of values that includes all elements of E. This range is often denoted as [a, b] where a and b are real numbers.

What does it mean for a real number set to be bounded above or below?

A real number set is said to be bounded above if there exists a real number, M, such that all elements of E are less than or equal to M. Similarly, a real number set is bounded below if there exists a real number, m, such that all elements of E are greater than or equal to m.

How can we determine if a real number set is bounded?

To determine if a real number set is bounded, we can examine the elements of the set and determine if there exists a maximum and minimum value. If there is no maximum or minimum value, the set is unbounded. Additionally, we can use the properties of real numbers, such as the Archimedean property, to prove boundedness.

What is the difference between a closed and open bounded interval?

In a closed bounded interval, both the maximum and minimum values are included in the set, denoted by [a, b]. In an open bounded interval, the maximum and minimum values are not included in the set, denoted by (a, b). For example, the set of real numbers between 1 and 5 would be represented as [1, 5] in a closed interval and (1, 5) in an open interval.

Can a real number set be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a real number set cannot be both bounded and unbounded. A set is either bounded or unbounded depending on the existence of a maximum and minimum value. If both a maximum and minimum value exist, the set is bounded. If either a maximum or minimum value does not exist, the set is unbounded.