Calculate Compressive Strength of Pipe

• Thread starter darkelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failure
In summary, the individual is looking for an equation to calculate the cross sectional compressive strength of a hollow steel pipe with a wall thickness of 3 1/2 inches. They are attempting to overcome the buckling that occurs on the sides of the pipe due to strain strengthening or work hardening. The length of the pipe is not a significant factor and they are loading it in a way that mimics a compression test machine. They are seeking an equation to determine the load needed to completely crush the pipe.
darkelf
Hello,

Does anyone know how to calculate the cross sectional compressive strength of a piece of pipe? I know as you compress or crush the pipe along the cross section of the pipe it will strain harden at which point compression will be unable to continue experimentally. I need to know what force would be required to overcome this and completely crush or compress the pipe on its sides.

I'm thinking of a hollow steel pipe with a wall thickness of say 3 1/2".

Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note: I am assuming that by "along the cross-section" you mean you are loading the pipe like this: --> ===== <--

How long is your pipe segment? As your pipe gets to be a lot longer than it is wide then you have to consider buckling as a mode of failure. At that point, once it buckles it's pretty meaningless to ask what happens next since you've basically bent the pipe and are no longer loading it uniformly.

If the pipe is short then why do you say compression will be unable to continue experimentally? At some point it will plastically yield and begin to barrel out but you would still be able to load it as high as your tester will go.

You can predict the buckling load using buckling equations, and you can predict the yield point just by considering uniform compressive loading, but once it's yielded you need to define what you mean by "completely crush" the pipe. In theory you could continue crushing it until the pipe has turned into a pancake.

Thank you Dav2008,

At present, I am attempting to load the pipe like this ->||<-

The pipe length as such does not really play much a part but the length should be at least a feet long. I am trying to overcome the buckling that occurs on the side of the pipe as it is compressed as these areas experience increased strength due to strain strengthening or work hardening.

I am looking for an equation that can be used to calculate the load needed to completely crush the pipe.

Thank you.

darkelf you can use the usual equations for elasticity but in cilindrical coordinates (polar). You have a stress of sigma sub r with sigma sub theta =0 and sigma sub z=0. Then you can solve the system to obtain the deformation

I would suggest using the following formula to calculate the compressive strength of the pipe:

Compressive Strength = Maximum Force Applied / Cross-Sectional Area of the Pipe

To determine the maximum force applied, you may need to perform experiments or simulations on the pipe to determine its yield strength, which is the point at which it begins to deform permanently. This value can then be used as the maximum force applied.

The cross-sectional area of the pipe can be calculated by multiplying the outer diameter by the wall thickness. In this case, the outer diameter would be 3.5 inches (since the wall thickness is given as 3 1/2 inches) and the wall thickness would be 3.5 inches as well.

Once you have both values, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the compressive strength of the pipe. Keep in mind that this formula assumes the pipe is homogeneous and has a uniform cross-sectional area. If the pipe has varying thickness or material composition, the calculation may be more complex.

I hope this helps in your calculations. Best of luck!

1. What is the formula for calculating compressive strength of a pipe?

The formula for calculating compressive strength of a pipe is: Compressive strength = Maximum load / Cross-sectional area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for compressive strength of a pipe?

The unit of measurement for compressive strength of a pipe is usually in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

3. How do you determine the cross-sectional area of a pipe?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe can be determined by measuring the diameter of the pipe and using the formula: Area = π * (diameter/2)^2, where π is the mathematical constant pi.

4. What factors can affect the compressive strength of a pipe?

The material composition, wall thickness, and diameter of the pipe can affect its compressive strength. Other factors such as external pressure, temperature, and corrosion can also impact the strength of the pipe.

5. Can the compressive strength of a pipe be greater than its tensile strength?

Yes, it is possible for the compressive strength of a pipe to be greater than its tensile strength. This is because different materials have different strengths in different directions. For example, a pipe made of reinforced concrete may have a higher compressive strength than tensile strength.