Electric field necessary to create a spark.

In summary: I didn't do the problem, but not that hard to do.In summary, the average distance an electron travels between collisions is 2.0 micrometers. To gain 2.0 x 10^-18 Joules of kinetic energy in this distance, the electron must have an acceleration of 1.0 x 10^15 m/s^2. This would require a force of 1.6 x 10^-18 N. To exert this force on an electron, an electric field with a strength of 8.99 x 10^11 N/C is needed. If a free electron in air is 1.0 cm away from a point charge, the minimum charge the point charge must have to
joe_cool2

Homework Statement

a) The average distance an electron travels between collisions is 2.0[itex]\mu[/itex]m. What acceleration must an electron have to gain 2.0 x 10-18 J of kinectic energy in this distance?

b) What force must act on an electron to give it the acceleration found in part a?

c) What strength electric field will exert this much force on an electron? This is the breakdown field strength?

d) Suppose a free electron in air is 1.0 cm away from a point charge. What minimum charge qmin must this point charge have to cause a breakdown of the air and create a spark?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{on q'} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{qq'}{r^2}\\
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x\\
K = \frac{1}{2}m \ v^2

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this problem on the computer, summing it all up in a .png with some images rendered by my LaTeX editor that represent the work. The picture is just to prove to my prof that I did this certain activity. Did I do anything wrong here?

physics26_58.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
joe_cool2 said:

Homework Statement

a) The average distance an electron travels between collisions is 2.0[itex]\mu[/itex]m. What acceleration must an electron have to gain 2.0 x 10-18 J of kinectic energy in this distance?

b) What force must act on an electron to give it the acceleration found in part a?

c) What strength electric field will exert this much force on an electron? This is the breakdown field strength?

d) Suppose a free electron in air is 1.0 cm away from a point charge. What minimum charge qmin must this point charge have to cause a breakdown of the air and create a spark?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{on q'} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{qq'}{r^2}\\
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x\\
K = \frac{1}{2}m \ v^2

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this problem on the computer, summing it all up in a .png with some images rendered by my LaTeX editor that represent the work. The picture is just to prove to my prof that I did this certain activity. Did I do anything wrong here?

[ IMG]http://s15.postimage.org/kkqh30ixn/physics26_58.png[/PLAIN]
You can do part b, simply by invoking the work-energy theorem.

The force you found is hundreds of times too large.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and affects the behavior of other charged particles placed within its influence. It can be thought of as the force that causes charged particles to move or interact with each other.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when a positive or negative charge is placed in space. The charge creates a force that radiates outwards from the charge and forms the electric field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is volts per meter (V/m). It represents the amount of force exerted on a charged particle per unit of distance.

4. What is the minimum electric field necessary to create a spark?

The minimum electric field necessary to create a spark is approximately 3,000 V/m. This varies depending on factors such as the type of gas present and the distance between the charged particles.

5. Can an electric field be shielded or blocked?

Yes, an electric field can be shielded or blocked by using materials that conduct electricity, such as metal. These materials redirect the electric field and prevent it from reaching its destination.