Which motherboard should I get?

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
In summary: Repeated thermal cycles weakening a solder connection is most likely what caused the fire on the MSI I had.
Kutt
Computer science news on Phys.org
In my opinion? The ASUS, as MSI is trash. The MSIs I've had have all been slow and had intolerably buggy drivers. One of them even caught fire. ASUS is a solid brand, though.

justsomeguy said:
In my opinion? The ASUS, as MSI is trash. The MSIs I've had have all been slow and had intolerably buggy drivers. One of them even caught fire. ASUS is a solid brand, though.

All of the reviews of that MSI motherboard have been positive, and based on what I've researched, it has more features than the ASUS board.

Kutt said:
All of the reviews of that MSI motherboard have been positive, and based on what I've researched, it has more features than the ASUS board.

Check for followups and reviews of owners, not just website reviews where they only run the thing for an hour or two. Your money is your own of course, was just volunteering my experience, which may of course be abnormal.

I'm a fan of ASUS and EPOX, do not care for MSI or Gigabyte. Others I'm neutral on.

justsomeguy said:
Check for followups and reviews of owners, not just website reviews where they only run the thing for an hour or two. Your money is your own of course, was just volunteering my experience, which may of course be abnormal.

I'm a fan of ASUS and EPOX, do not care for MSI or Gigabyte. Others I'm neutral on.

I saw that the MSI Big Bang M-power was tested with prime95 for 24 hours straight without failing.

Kutt said:
I saw that the MSI Big Bang M-power was tested with prime95 for 24 hours straight without failing.

I'd be WAY more impressed with a test that ran it for an hour a day every other day for a couple of months.

I mean, a single 24-hr test has exactly one power up/down cycle. NOT impressive.

phinds said:
I'd be WAY more impressed with a test that ran it for an hour a day every other day for a couple of months.

I mean, a single 24-hr test has exactly one power up/down cycle. NOT impressive.

Repeated thermal cycles weakening a solder connection is most likely what caused the fire on the MSI I had. Fire may be overstating it a bit; it got hot enough to let out all the special smoke and melt the connector though. They warranty replaced it, but it took over a month.

I'm using an MSI X58 motherboard and I have had absolutely NO issues with it whatsoever for going on 2 years now..

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a motherboard?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a motherboard are the processor compatibility, form factor, expansion slots, RAM compatibility, and budget. It is crucial to ensure that the motherboard is compatible with the processor you plan to use and has enough expansion slots for your needs. The form factor also determines the size and shape of the motherboard, which can affect the compatibility with your computer's case. Lastly, your budget should be taken into account when selecting a motherboard.

2. How do I determine the right form factor for my motherboard?

The form factor of a motherboard is determined by the size and shape of the board. The most common form factors are ATX, Micro ATX, and Mini ITX. The size of your computer case will determine which form factor you should choose. ATX is the standard size and is compatible with most cases, while Micro ATX and Mini ITX are smaller and may have limited expansion options.

3. How much RAM can a motherboard support?

The amount of RAM a motherboard can support depends on the motherboard's chipset and the number of RAM slots available. Most modern motherboards can support up to 64GB of RAM, but it is essential to check the specifications of the specific motherboard you are considering to ensure it meets your needs.

4. What is the difference between AMD and Intel motherboards?

The main difference between AMD and Intel motherboards is the compatibility with their respective processors. AMD motherboards are only compatible with AMD processors, while Intel motherboards are only compatible with Intel processors. Other differences include the number of expansion slots and features offered, so it is important to research and compare specific models before deciding.

5. Can I upgrade my motherboard in the future?

Yes, you can upgrade your motherboard in the future, but it may require upgrading other components such as the processor, RAM, and possibly the power supply. It is essential to ensure that the new motherboard is compatible with your current components and that you have the necessary technical skills to perform the upgrade safely.