Status of Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics: What Open Questions Remain?

In summary, there is ongoing research into relativistic Bohmian mechanics, which aims to reconcile the deterministic nature of the theory with quantum field theory. There is some tension between the two, particularly regarding the identification of "real" variables and the possibility of obtaining the standard model from non-relativistic physics. Various approaches, such as using a lattice model or considering the ontological nature of particles, are being explored in this field. Some recent papers have also been published on the topic, indicating that it is still an active area of research.
Morberticus
I am curious about recent progress in relativistic Bohmian mechanics. Finding a review is proving difficult (The closest I can find is a conference paper by H. Nikolic).

My understanding is a set of dynamical variables are identified as "real" (beables), and their (usually deterministic) time-evolution is obtained by decomposing the schrodinger equation. But there seems to be some tension (at least there was in 2005) between Bohmian Mechanics and QFT insofar as what you label as "real" depends on what you want to calculate, and decomposition in a fermionic field theory suggests a different reality than in a bosonic field theory.

My question is, is there a single set of "beables" that consistently obtains both non-relativistic QM (including quantum computing) and the standard model of particle physics? Is this still an avenue of research?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one possibility is to try to obtain the entire standard model from non-relativistic physics, for example a lattice model whose spacing is so fine that the violation of Lorentz invariance is less than what is observed. 't Hooft begins his exposition of QFT this way http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/lectures/basisqft.pdf. Another possibility for obtaining some aspects of the standard model from a non-relativistic model is http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0507118.

I think the chief difficulty with putting the standard model on a lattice is whether chiral interactions can be described http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.2560.

One possibility is that particles are ontological for both bosons and fermions in QFT:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1205.1992

But this is not the only possibility, and the research is still ongoing.

Related to Status of Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics: What Open Questions Remain?

1. What is Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics?

Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics is a quantum theory that combines the principles of relativity and Bohmian mechanics to provide a consistent and complete description of subatomic particles.

2. How does Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics differ from other quantum theories?

Unlike traditional quantum theories, Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics posits the existence of a pilot wave that guides the movement of particles, eliminating the need for probabilistic interpretations and allowing for a deterministic view of quantum phenomena.

3. What is the current status of research on Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics?

While the theory has gained some traction in recent years, there is still ongoing research and debate regarding its validity and applicability to real-world scenarios. Some physicists argue that it is a promising approach, while others have raised concerns about its compatibility with certain fundamental principles.

4. What are some open questions that remain in the study of Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics?

One of the main open questions is how to reconcile the theory with the principles of special and general relativity. There are also ongoing discussions about the implications of the pilot wave and its potential role in explaining quantum phenomena such as entanglement and wave-particle duality.

5. What potential applications could Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics have in the future?

If successfully integrated with relativity, Relativistic Bohmian Mechanics could provide a more complete and intuitive understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles, potentially leading to new technological advancements in fields such as quantum computing and communication.