Preparing for the FE/EIT Exam: A Must for Electrical Engineering Majors?

• Thread starter jellybird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it would be beneficial for an electrical engineering student to take the FE/EIT exam before graduating. Some recommend taking it before graduation, as it can give an edge in job applications and is a stepping stone to becoming a licensed professional engineer. Others mention that it may not be necessary for most EE jobs but could be important for future career plans. Ultimately, the decision depends on individual goals and aspirations.
jellybird
Hi, this is my first post. I did a quick search and didn't see anything relevant. I finish my B.S.E.E. in August. Would it be wise for me to take the FE/EIT (Fundamentals of Engineering / Engineer in Training) exam before then? I have received some conflicting answers to this question. It seems like the F.E. is more necessary for mechanical and civil engineering and not as pertinent to electrical majors? But do I need to take this exam before taking the PE exam?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm in NC if that makes any difference.

Take it before you graduate, get it out of the way. I just passed mine in my first year of graduate school and I regret not doing it earlier, it was a royal pain. Yeah, most EE jobs don't require it, but having EIT or PE gives you an edge over everyone else.

At my university, the FE is a pre-requisite to the M.S. degree.

Hi,
Like you, I graduated with a BS.c. in Electrical Engineering a few days ago, took the FE exam in April thinking passing it would boost my resume. I passed it and I am ever so glad I did, my perspective employer seems ever so impressed. I might want to start a consulting firm someday, getting a PE is rather important for that and passing the EIT is a stepping stone to getting there.

Good luck in whatever decision you take.

What is the FE/EIT exam?

The FE/EIT exam, also known as the Fundamentals of Engineering/Engineer-in-Training exam, is a standardized test administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). It is the first step towards becoming a licensed Professional Engineer in the United States.

Who is eligible to take the FE/EIT exam?

Most states require candidates to have completed at least four years of an ABET-accredited engineering program or equivalent in order to be eligible to take the FE/EIT exam. Some states also allow individuals with a combination of education and work experience to sit for the exam.

What topics are covered on the FE/EIT exam?

The FE/EIT exam covers a wide range of engineering topics, including mathematics, probability and statistics, ethics and professional practice, chemistry, statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, electrical circuits, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and more. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the discipline of engineering chosen by the candidate.

How is the FE/EIT exam scored?

The FE/EIT exam is a computer-based test that consists of 110 multiple-choice questions. The passing score for the exam is determined by the NCEES and may vary from year to year. To pass the exam, a candidate must achieve a scaled score of at least 70 out of 100.

What are the benefits of passing the FE/EIT exam?

Passing the FE/EIT exam is a requirement for becoming a licensed Professional Engineer. It demonstrates that an individual has a solid understanding of engineering fundamentals and is ready to enter the workforce as an engineer. It can also lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries.