Calculating KE of a Dust Particle: 1 microgram at 1 mm/s

In summary, the question asks for the kinetic energy of a dust particle with a mass of 1 microgram traveling at a speed of 1 mm/s. The equation for kinetic energy, E = \frac{mv^2}{2}, is applicable to any particle moving at non-relativistic speeds, including dust particles. The units for kinetic energy are Joules, which can be derived from the units of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).
user101

Homework Statement

Find the KE of a dust particle that weighs 1 micrograms traveling at a speed of 1 mm/s

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Would this question be applicable to the equation listed above? I thought it was only applicable to electrons in orbit, around a nucleus. I'm questioning this because it's a dust particle...

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you give holds for any particle moving at speeds not close to the speed of light so, yes, it would be the one to use here.

The definition of kinetic energy for a given mass m at a speed (magnitude of velocity) v, is given by the equation cited, from electrons to galaxies - but at non-relativistic speeds.

For a collection of particles v would be the mean translational speed, and then there could be rotational kinetic energy.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ke.html#ke

Thank you, makes sense now.

Quick question:

If I'm multiplying grams * meters / second... what unit is that? I've been trying to figure that out, can't do it... Ideally I'd like my answer to be in Joules

* I just realized, this should be in the introductory physics section, sorry. I had posted a Q yesterday in this forum for an upper level physics class, so I programmed myself to post this simple Q here.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a dust particle?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy (KE) of a dust particle is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is the velocity.

2. How do you convert 1 microgram to kilograms?

To convert 1 microgram (μg) to kilograms (kg), you can use the conversion factor 1 μg = 1 x 10^-9 kg. Therefore, 1 microgram is equal to 0.000000001 kilograms.

3. What is the standard unit for velocity in the KE formula?

The standard unit for velocity (v) in the KE formula is meters per second (m/s).

4. How do you convert 1 millimeter per second to meters per second?

To convert 1 millimeter per second (mm/s) to meters per second (m/s), you can use the conversion factor 1 mm/s = 0.001 m/s. Therefore, 1 millimeter per second is equal to 0.001 meters per second.

5. What is the resulting unit for KE when using the given values of 1 microgram and 1 mm/s?

The resulting unit for KE when using 1 microgram and 1 mm/s is joules (J). Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules, which is the standard unit for energy in the International System of Units (SI).