Transformation of Equation of Motion by Hankel Transform

In summary, the conversation is about transforming a second order equation of motion by using the Hankel Transform. The purpose of the transformation is to avoid using separation of variables and to handle varying boundary conditions. The conversation also discusses the difficulties in understanding the transformation and how it is used to transform the equation. The Hankel identity is mentioned and the conversation concludes with the understanding and appreciation of the help provided.
the_dialogue

Homework Statement

So I've been staring at this problem for hours and I can't figure it out. The idea is to transform a second order equation of motion (depends on 'r' and 't') by the Hankel Transform. I think the purpose is to to avoid using separation of variables which tends to cause trouble when the boundary conditions vary with time. See the first attached image for the equation of motion and the boundary & initial conditions.

Homework Equations

I'm trying to understand how they got to the "transformed equation" (see second attached image). All they say in the paper is:

"Transformation of equation (I) and the initial conditions (equations (2) and (3)), and
use of the boundary conditions (equations (4) and (5)) will yield the differential equation..."

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite understand through reading the paper how the equation is transformed. I somewhat follow the derivation of the "Hankel Transformation Identity" (third image) but I can't understand how this is used to transform the above mentioned equation.

Update: I now see how they derived the LEFT side of the equation (i.e. the second derivative of y + a^2...). But how about the RIGHT side? Where does all that come from? e.g. 2a^2/Pi*(row*F2-F1) .

Thank you for any help.

Source: FINITE TRANSFORM SOLUTION OF THE VIBRATING ANNULAR MEMBRANE G.R. Sharp Journal of Sound and Vibration (1967)

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 425
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 444
  • third.jpg
    third.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a pretty straight forward application of the identity you are given (although, the identity you posted uses some unfamiliar notation). In terms of [itex]Y(r,t)[/itex] and its Henkel Transform [itex]y(\delta_n,t)[/itex] the identity is

[tex]H=\left(u_n(r),\left[\frac{d^2}{dr^2}Y(r,t)+\frac{1}{r}Y(r,t)\right]\right)=\frac{2}{\pi}\left(\rho_nY(r_2)-Y(r_1)\right)-\delta_n^2y(\delta_n,t)[/tex]

And your initial conditions tell you what [itex]Y(r_2)[/itex] and [itex]Y(r_1)[/itex] are. (And of course, the Hankel Transform of [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}Y(r,t)[/itex] is just [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}y(\delta_n,t)[/itex])

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately I'm missing something.

Where does the [tex]\delta_n^2y(\delta_n,t)[/tex] term go in the transformed differential equation?

That is, the left side of the transformed DE looks to be just the transformation of the left side of the original DE, but the right side is the identity without the [tex]\delta_n^2y(\delta_n,t)[/tex] term.

gabbagabbahey said:
This looks like a pretty straight forward application of the identity you are given (although, the identity you posted uses some unfamiliar notation). In terms of [itex]Y(r,t)[/itex] and its Henkel Transform [itex]y(\delta_n,t)[/itex] the identity is

[tex]H=\left(u_n(r),\left[\frac{d^2}{dr^2}Y(r,t)+\frac{1}{r}Y(r,t)\right]\right)=\frac{2}{\pi}\left(\rho_nY(r_2)-Y(r_1)\right)-\delta_n^2y(\delta_n,t)[/tex]

And your initial conditions tell you what [itex]Y(r_2)[/itex] and [itex]Y(r_1)[/itex] are. (And of course, the Hankel Transform of [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}Y(r,t)[/itex] is just [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}y(\delta_n,t)[/itex])

Nevermind. Got it!

Thank you very much for the help.

Can someone point me to a good explanation/proof of the previously mentioned Henkel identity?

1. What is the Hankel transform and how is it used to transform equations of motion?

The Hankel transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from its original domain to the frequency domain. In the context of equations of motion, the Hankel transform can be used to transform a differential equation in the time domain to an algebraic equation in the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and solve.

2. What are the benefits of using the Hankel transform in the study of equations of motion?

The Hankel transform allows for a simpler and more efficient analysis of equations of motion by transforming them into a new domain where they can be studied using algebraic methods. This can lead to a better understanding of the dynamics of a system and facilitate the design of control strategies.

3. Can the Hankel transform be used for any type of equation of motion?

Yes, the Hankel transform can be applied to a wide range of equations of motion, including linear and nonlinear systems. However, it is most commonly used for linear systems as it yields a more straightforward transformation.

4. How does the Hankel transform affect the initial conditions of an equation of motion?

The Hankel transform changes the initial conditions of an equation of motion by transforming them into new initial conditions in the frequency domain. This is because the transformation involves a change in the independent variable from time to frequency.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Hankel transform in the study of equations of motion?

One limitation of the Hankel transform is that it only applies to equations of motion that have constant coefficients. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with highly nonlinear dynamics. In these cases, other methods may be more appropriate for analyzing and solving equations of motion.