Heliocentric Coordinates for a 2 body problem and the Hamiltonian

In summary, the equations of motion in a Hamiltonian problem involve two equations that describe the evolution of momentum and position. To simplify the problem, a transformation can be applied to the original Hamiltonian to eliminate the dependence on momentum and position. However, this transformation can be confusing when trying to derive the equation of motion that involves the second derivative of Q. Any suggestions for this issue would be appreciated.
jleon008
Homework Statement
A general two-body problem (sun and planet) is given by the Hamiltonian

$$H(p,p_S,q, q_S)=\frac{1}{2M}p^T_S p_S +\frac{1}{2m}p^Tp-\frac{GmM}{\left\| q-q_S \right\| }$$

where ##q_S,q\in \mathbb{R}^3## are the positions of the sun (mass M) and the planet (mass m), ##p_S,p\in \mathbb{R}^3## are their momenta, and G is the gravitational constant.

Prove that in heliocentric coordinates ##Q:= q - q_s##, the equations of motion are

$$\ddot Q=-G(M+m)\frac{Q}{\left\| Q\right\|}$$.
Relevant Equations
For computing the motion of two bodies which attract each other, we choose one of the bodies as the centre of our coordinate system; the motion will stay in the plane and we can use two-dimensional coordinates ##q=(q_1,q_2)## for the position of the second body. Newton's Laws, with a suitable normalization, then yield the following differential equations

$$\ddot q_1=-\frac{q_1}{(q^2_1+q^2_2)^\frac{3}{2}}, \ddot q_2=-\frac{q_2}{(q^2_1+q^2_2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$.

This is equivalent to a Hamiltonian system with the Hamiltonian

$$H(p_1,p_2,q_1,q_2)=\frac{1}{2}(p^2_1+p^2_2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{q^2_1+q^2_2}}, p_i=\dot q_i$$
It seems as though in general, the equations of motion are described with two equations which result from the definition of a Hamiltonian problem, where the problems are of the form:

$$\dot p=-H_q(p,q), \dot q=H_p(p,q)$$

It is a little confusing to me how the equations of motion go from two equations, to one equation involving the second derivative of ##Q##

My main plan of attack for this problem has been to try to transform the original Hamiltonian from ##H(p,p_S,q, q_S)## to ##H(P, Q)## where ##Q=q-q_S## and ##P=\dot Q = \dot q - \dot q_S = p - p_S##

I understand that from the Hamiltonian, I get

$$\dot q = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p} = p$$ and

$$\dot p = - \frac{\partial H}{\partial q} = -\frac{q}{\left\|q\right\|^3}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'm getting stuck on how to transform these equations into the equation of motion that involves the second derivative of Q. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1. What are heliocentric coordinates and how are they used in a 2 body problem?

Heliocentric coordinates are a set of coordinates that describe the position and motion of two bodies in space relative to the Sun. They are used in a 2 body problem to calculate the trajectory and orbital parameters of the two bodies.

2. How do heliocentric coordinates differ from geocentric coordinates?

Heliocentric coordinates are centered around the Sun, while geocentric coordinates are centered around the Earth. This means that the origin and axes of the coordinate systems are different.

3. What is the Hamiltonian in the context of a 2 body problem?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system, taking into account both kinetic and potential energy. In a 2 body problem, the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the motion of the two bodies based on their positions and velocities.

4. How are Hamiltonian equations used to solve a 2 body problem?

The Hamiltonian equations are a set of differential equations that describe the evolution of a system over time. In a 2 body problem, they are used to calculate the position and velocity of the two bodies at any given time, based on their initial conditions and the Hamiltonian function.

5. What are the advantages of using heliocentric coordinates and the Hamiltonian in a 2 body problem?

Using heliocentric coordinates and the Hamiltonian allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of the motion and orbital parameters of two bodies. It also simplifies the equations and reduces the number of variables needed, making it easier to analyze and understand the system.