Can anyone help me rearrange this quadratic equation for t?

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging a quadratic equation to solve for a specific variable, in this case, t. The two methods suggested are completing the square or using the quadratic formula. One person also mentions the presence of "ut" in the equation. It is advised to show one's attempt at solving the equation before seeking further help.
madmike159
Gold Member
can anyone help me rearrange
s = ut + 1/2at^2
to make t the subject.
If you could show the working it would be a real help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us your attempt at work before we can offer tutorial help. Start by putting the 1/2at^2 all on one side, then isolate t^2, then what?

madmike159 said:
can anyone help me rearrange ut+ 1/2 at2 to make t the subject.
If you could show the working it would be a real help.

That's a general quadratic equation. You can either "complete the square" or use the quadratic formula to solve for t.

Berkeman, did you miss the "ut"? Getting t2 by itself won't help.

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move terms from one side to the other.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

Rearranging an equation allows you to solve for a specific variable, making it easier to understand and manipulate the relationship between different quantities in a mathematical expression. It is also a useful technique for simplifying complex equations and solving real-world problems.

3. What are the steps to rearrange an equation?

The first step is to identify the variable you want to solve for. Next, use inverse operations to move terms to the opposite side of the equation, keeping in mind that whatever operation you perform on one side of the equation, you must also do on the other side. Continue this process until the variable is isolated on one side of the equation.

4. Can I rearrange an equation in any order?

No, there are certain rules that must be followed when rearranging an equation. You must always perform inverse operations and keep the equation balanced by performing the same operation on both sides. Additionally, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, you must flip the direction of the inequality symbol.

5. How can I check if I rearranged the equation correctly?

You can check your work by plugging the solution back into the original equation and solving it. If the solution makes the equation true, then you have rearranged it correctly. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original and rearranged equations and see if they intersect at the same point.