Using Closed/Open Balls in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses a proposition about Cauchy sequences in a metric space and the use of closed or open balls in a proof. It is stated that for checking boundedness, it does not matter which type of ball is used. The author chose to use a closed ball in this particular proof, but adding a positive constant to the radius would make the sequence contained in both the open and closed ball.
sampahmel

Homework Statement

In Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis, there is a proposition (p. 52).

A Cauchy sequence of points in a metric space is bounded.

Proof: For if the sequence is P1, P2, P3, ... and ε is any positive number and N an integer such tat d(Pn, Pm) < ε if n, m > N, then for any fixed m > N the entire sequence is contained in the closed ball of center Pm and radius of max{d(Pm, P1),..., d(Pm, PN), ε}

Homework Equations

So I wonder when do I use closed or open ball in the proof? I don't really see any difference. Can anybody shed some light on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
sampahmel said:
So I wonder when do I use closed or open ball in the proof? I don't really see any difference. Can anybody shed some light on this matter.

For checking boundedness, it makes no difference which one you use. A sequence is bounded if it is contained in some ball with finite radius, and whether the ball is open or closed is irrelevant.

The author wrote "closed" in this case because with the radius he has chosen, the sequence is not necessarily contained in the open ball with that radius. However, if he had added any positive constant to his radius, then the sequence would have been contained in both the open and closed ball with the expanded radius.

1. What is a closed ball in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs?

A closed ball in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs is a set of points in a metric space that are all within a certain distance, called the radius, from a specific point, called the center. It is denoted as B(x, r) where x is the center and r is the radius.

2. How is a closed ball different from an open ball in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs?

A closed ball includes all points within the radius, including the boundary points, while an open ball only includes the points within the radius, not including the boundary points. For example, B(0,1) would include the points -1, 0, and 1 in a closed ball, but only 0 would be included in an open ball.

3. What is the purpose of using closed balls in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs?

Closed balls are used in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs to define neighborhoods around a certain point in a metric space. These neighborhoods are important in understanding the convergence of sequences and continuity of functions.

4. How are closed balls used in proofs in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs?

Closed balls are used as a tool in proofs to show that a certain property or condition holds for all points within a certain distance from a specific point. This allows for a more specific and precise analysis of a metric space.

5. Can open balls also be used in proofs in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs?

Yes, open balls can also be used in proofs in Rosenlicht's Intro to Analysis Proofs. They are often used interchangeably with closed balls, depending on the specific property or condition being proven.