Prove that the complement of a closed set is open

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Set
In summary: So the statement "S is closed" is equivalent to saying "S^c is open". In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the claim that the complement of a closed set is open. The logic behind the proof is that if there is no r > 0 such that d(p,q) < r implies q ∈ Sc, then there exists a sequence in S that converges to p ∈ Sc, contradicting the closedness of S. This is based on the general definition of a closed set as the complement of an open set.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that S is a closed set. We claim that Sc is open. Take any p ∈ Sc. If
there fails to exist an r > 0 such that
d(p, q) < r ⇒ q ∈ Sc
then for each r = 1/n with n = 1, 2, . . . there exists a point pn ∈ S such that
d(p, pn) < 1/n. This sequence in S converges to p ∈ Sc, contrary to closedness of S.
Therefore there actually does exist an r > 0 such that
d(p, q) < r ⇒ q ∈ Sc
which proves that Sc is an open set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my question here is not how to do the prove, because I have that proof right here. I am just confused about the proof. I understand that the argument in general is a proof by contradiction, by assuming that Sc is not open and deriving a contradiction. However, I am confused about the reasoning here:

If there fails to exist an r > 0 such that
d(p, q) < r ⇒ q ∈ Sc
then for each r = 1/n with n = 1, 2, . . . there exists a point pn ∈ S such that
d(p, pn) < 1/n. This sequence in S converges to p ∈ Sc.

Can someone explain the logic here? Where does the 1/n comes from? Why does that sequence converge to p?

Physics news on Phys.org
You take a point p in the complement where the condition for being an open set does not hold. You then show that there is a sequence in S that converges to that point in S^c, implying that S is not a closed set.

This question is significantly simpler using the general topological definition of a closed set: A closed set is the complement of an open set.

1. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points. In other words, for any sequence of points within the set, the limit of the sequence is also within the set.

2. Can you give an example of a closed set?

One example of a closed set is the interval [0,1] on the real number line. This set contains all of its limit points, including 0 and 1.

3. What does it mean for a set to be open?

An open set is a set that does not contain its boundary points. In other words, for any point within the set, there exists a small enough neighborhood around that point that is also contained within the set.

4. How is the complement of a set defined?

The complement of a set is the set of all elements that are not in the original set. In other words, if the original set is denoted as A, then the complement is denoted as Ac.

5. How can you prove that the complement of a closed set is open?

To prove that the complement of a closed set is open, we can use the definition of a closed set and the definition of an open set. If a set is closed, then all of its limit points are contained within the set. Therefore, the complement of the set does not contain any of these limit points and is therefore open.