Legitimate or just misinformation ?

• Medical
  • Thread starter thorium1010
  • Start date
In summary: Parents should make the decision they feel comfortable with.In summary, the study has done a cost effective analysis of male circumcision. Is this study backed up with evidence? (I don't have access to the actual study).
Biology news on Phys.org
This seems like an incredibly biased article. AFAIK there are no real medical benefits to circumcision and there is a difficulty in separating societal factors from the practice (short on time atm so can't grab papers).

Definitely news to me that it could be beneficial to your health.

The article seems to be saying "There are less circumcisions, and there are people spending more money on medical care". They say nothing that indicates a causal relationship whatsoever.

The article actually tries to suggest that circumcision prevents HIV.

Looked at the comments as well and I think the whole discussion is a bit loopey. There are some countries that have less circumcision and more health problems and some countries that have more circumcision and more health problems.

They pointed out in the comments that in Europe fewer men are circumcised and there are fewer supposedly related health problems. But there's also free health care in a lot of countries in Europe as well as probably hundreds of things that are impossible to control for. Until someone can actually prove a causal relationship I will consider the discussion silly and think that parents should make the decision they feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
That's interesting! Do we know if all the men in that study come from similar economic/social backgrounds?

RabbitWho said:
That's interesting! Do we know if all the men in that study come from similar economic/social backgrounds?
I've not read the whole article but apparently that has been taken into account. It is a good point though.

I tried to search for key words that might mention it like "background" and such. It said at one stage that one study focused on factory workers and volunteers.

Ryan_m_b said:
There is research to show that in countries with high HIV prevalence circumcision decreases transmission, though not as effectively as condoms.
Male circumcision and risk of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Weiss, Helen A.; Quigley, Maria A.; Hayes, Richard J

Aside from this I'm unaware of any strongly correlated benefits. Personally I find circumcision (or any non-consensual genital mutilation for that matter) utterly abhorrent.

Thanks for the links. I was kind of shocked at the way they draw conclusion without any strong evidence backing their study.

1. What is the difference between legitimate information and misinformation?

Legitimate information refers to accurate and verifiable facts or data. It is based on evidence and supported by reliable sources. Misinformation, on the other hand, is false or misleading information that is not based on facts or evidence.

2. How can I determine if a piece of information is legitimate or misinformation?

The best way to determine if information is legitimate or misinformation is to fact-check it. Look for reliable sources and cross-check the information with other sources. Be cautious of information that seems too good to be true or is not supported by evidence.

3. Why is it important to distinguish between legitimate information and misinformation?

Distinguishing between legitimate information and misinformation is crucial because it can impact our beliefs, decisions, and actions. Misinformation can spread quickly and have harmful effects, while legitimate information can help us make informed decisions.

4. What are some common sources of misinformation?

Some common sources of misinformation include social media, biased news outlets, and individuals with ulterior motives. It is important to critically evaluate the source of information before accepting it as legitimate.

5. How can we combat misinformation?

To combat misinformation, we can engage in fact-checking and critical thinking. We can also support and promote reliable sources of information and educate others on how to spot and avoid misinformation. It is also important to be mindful of our own biases and to seek out diverse perspectives.