Integrating infinite sums and macluarin's expansion

In summary, using the Maclaurin's expansion for sinx, we can show that the integral of sinx is equal to -cosx + c. By manipulating the representation for the infinite series, we can obtain the result of x^{2n} instead of x^{2n+2} with correct denominators of (2n)! and (2n+2)!.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Using the macluarin's expansion for sinx show that [itex]\int sinx dx=-cosx+c[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]sinx=\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can easily write out some of the series and just show that it is equal to -cosx

but if I integrate the representation for the infinite series i get

[tex]\int sinx dx= \sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+2}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]
shouldn't -cosx be:
[tex]\int sinx dx= \sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{2n+2}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

and also I am supposed to get [itex]x^{2n}[/itex] not what I got

Physics news on Phys.org
Your denominators should be (2n+2)! in the last two lines.

With this correction, your last series is cos(x)-1; write out the first few terms to see.

ah yes I made a typo...but even if I change it
how do I manipulate

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+2}}{(2n+2)!}[/tex] (what I integrated and got)

Into

[tex]-\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex] (What I am supposed to get)

Let j= n+1 and see what you get with j as the index.

1. What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum is a mathematical series that has an infinite number of terms. It is also known as an infinite series and is represented in the form of Σn=1^∞ an, where n is the term number and an is the value of each term in the series.

2. What is Maclaurin's expansion?

Maclaurin's expansion is a special case of Taylor series expansion, where the series is centered around x = 0. It is represented as f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x^2/2! + f'''(0)x^3/3! + ..., where f(x) is any infinitely differentiable function and f'(0), f''(0), f'''(0), etc. are the derivatives of the function evaluated at x = 0.

3. How do you integrate infinite sums?

To integrate infinite sums, we use the concept of convergence. If the infinite sum converges, we can use the integral test or comparison test to determine the convergence of the series. Once the convergence is established, the integral of the infinite sum can be found by using the power series representation of the function.

4. What is the relationship between Maclaurin's expansion and integrating infinite sums?

Maclaurin's expansion is a useful tool for integrating infinite sums because it allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial. This polynomial can then be integrated easily, providing a solution to the infinite sum. Maclaurin's expansion is also helpful in determining the convergence of infinite sums.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating infinite sums and Maclaurin's expansion?

Integrating infinite sums and Maclaurin's expansion have various applications in different fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, these concepts are used to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. In economics, they are used to model complex functions and make predictions. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze systems with infinite components, such as electrical circuits and mechanical structures.