Number Theory Help: Solving Problems & Understanding Repunits

In summary, the first problem is asking for the last digit of the decimal expansion of 7^999999, which can be found by taking the remainder of 7^999999 divided by 10. The second problem involves repunits, which are numbers with all ones in every place. The general formula for repunits in base 10 is (10^x-1)(10-1). It can be shown that every positive integer relatively prime to 10 divides infinitely many repunits. The proof for this involves the properties of relatively prime numbers and the sum of elements in a group under multiplication modulo a prime number. It can also be deduced that if a number divides a repunit, then it divides infinitely many repunits.
buzzmath
Could someone please give me some advice on solving these problems

1. find the last digit of the decimal expansion 7^999999?
I think i have to do something like 7^999999(mod10) but I'm not really sure if that's right or how i would do that

2. Show that every positive integer relatively prime to 10 divides infinitely many repunits? I don't know what a repunit is or how i would even begin this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT #1: Powers of 7 can only end in one of the digits 7, 9, 3 or 1.

Thanks i think i figured the first one out

a repunit, according to my quick google search, is a number with all ones in every place. 11. 111. 1111111111 etc. The general formula for them is (10^x-1)(10-1) if you use a different number than 10 you're switching what base you're working in, but I'm assuming this is all in base 10. They have interesting properties, like if you square them you get those numbers that go like 1234321 or whatever, which is neat. Yay for learning

...so relatively prime means the two numbers share no common positive factors except 1, so in the case of 10 and other numbers, you get 1, 3, 7, 9, 11, etc.(I think, I looked up relatively prime as well)I can't help you with the proof, but I can see by random example it's true. 11 divides 11, 1111, 111111, and so on(add two ones each time, and the answer is actually like 101010101...another neat property, this is neat, I should take a number theory class)it gets weird though, for like 13 you add on an additional 6 1s(or whatever, I'm just messing with it on my calc)

Last edited:
thanks for your help. I think i might have the proof but I'm not sure does this look right?

If (a,10)=1 and (a,9)=1 then a|(10^n-1)/9 and if (a,9)=d>1 then d divides every repunit of length k9 and (a/d)|(10^(kΦ(a/d))-1)/9 and this repeats infinetly

I don't see where you're getting the first part:

If (a,10)=1 and (a,9)=1 then a|(10^n-1)/9

You haven't justified it. And what's n? The above fails for a = 7, n = 2. Anyways, what you've written doesn't look like a proof to me.

Consider the case a = 1. a divides infinitely many repunits, so we're done this case. From here on, a > 1.

Suppose p is a prime that is neither 2 nor 5. What can you say about 10 as an element of the group of elements {1, ..., p-1} under multiplication modulo p? What is the sum

(1 + (p-1)) + (2 + (p-2)) + ... + (p/2 - 1/2 + (p/2 + 1/2))

congruent to (modulo p)? Putting these together and filling in the details, what can you say about the existence of a repunit r such that p | r (again, where p is a prime that is neither 2 nor 5)?

Try to figure out that if x is any number that divides a repunit, then it divides infinitely many. (Once you prove this, it will be useful in two separate places, one where x = p, and second, where x = a). Prove that if a does not divide a repunit, then (a,10) cannot be 1, otherwise we'd get that

for all prime p, there exists a repunit r such that (a,r) = 1 but (r,p) = p
(it's easy to find an r such that (a,r) = 1, but to find an r such that, in addition, (r,p) = p, you need to use the fact you proved, where x = p)

implying

for all prime p, (a,p) = 1

which is impossible because a > 1.

Deduce that if (a,10) = 1, then a divides a repunit. Using x = a and the fact you proved, conclude that a divides infinitely many repunits.

Last edited:

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers, or whole numbers. It includes topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. What is a repunit?

A repunit is a number that consists of only repeating ones, such as 111 or 11111. It is represented by the formula (10^n - 1)/9, where n is the number of digits in the number.

3. How can I solve problems involving repunits?

To solve problems involving repunits, you can use various techniques such as modular arithmetic, divisibility rules, and prime factorization. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of number properties and relationships.

4. Why are repunits important in number theory?

Repunits are important in number theory because they have interesting properties and relationships with other numbers. For example, repunits are always divisible by their number of digits, and they have a close connection to prime numbers.

5. How can understanding repunits help me in other areas of mathematics?

Understanding repunits can help in various areas of mathematics, such as prime number theory, modular arithmetic, and number patterns. It can also improve problem-solving skills and logical thinking abilities.