Weight supporting structure. Help needed.

In summary, the conversation discusses building a weight supporting structure with specific requirements. The individual is in the learning phase and is seeking help understanding the appropriate terms and formulas to search for. They need to suspend a weight with finite threshold variance on a platform off the edge of a plane and are looking for the optimal solution for supporting ties and associated structures. The individual is unable to cause damage to the plane and is considering applying downward and inward forces to support the weight. They are also looking for existing best practices for this type of requirement.
locksmithdon
Hello all. I need to build a weight supporting structure with the following requirements. At this point, I'm still in learning mode and need help understanding the appropriate terms and formulas to search for. Of course solutions are awesome too, but any direction forward would be most appreciated.

I need to suspend a weight (w) with a finite threshold variance on a platform off the edge of a plane. Here is a visual.

Code:
             ----------------------
            |
            |
    _____   |
   |     |  |     plane
   |  w  |  |
   |_____|  |
  --------- |
  platform  |
            |
            |
            |

What's not in the visual are any supporting ties. These supporting ties and associated structures are effectively what I'm searching for the optimal solution to. I'm not able to do any damage to the plane (drilling, adhesive, etc), but the support can be rigid - I'm expecting it to be. I expect the width of the platform away from the plane will factor into the equations. Assume the platform is the same depth as the plane or slightly deeper to account for the supports.

My preference, and the direction I'm currently heading, is to apply the downward force to the top of the plane (assume it to be plenty strong enough to support w) and an inward force into the side of the plane. I'm unable to use anything supporting the plane (like the ground). The supports can also touch and/or lay along the surface of the plane, and I suspect the ultimate design will do so.

I suspect there are existing best practices for this type of requirement, but I need help finding them. I'll post some visuals of my early thinking (without mathematical optimisations) tomorrow.

Disclaimer: this is for a personal invention (my first), so I'd prefer not to go into certain specifics at this point. But I will eventually open source the design and send a prototype to anyone who can help :)

Much thanks,
Don

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the diagram you provide the plan, (view from above), or a side elevation?

1. What is a weight supporting structure?

A weight supporting structure is a type of construction or design that is specifically designed to carry or support a certain amount of weight. This could refer to buildings, bridges, or any other type of structure that is built to withstand heavy loads.

2. What materials are commonly used in weight supporting structures?

The materials used in weight supporting structures vary depending on the specific structure and its purpose. However, some common materials include steel, concrete, wood, and masonry. These materials have high strength and can withstand heavy loads.

3. How do weight supporting structures work?

Weight supporting structures work by distributing the weight of the load evenly over its entire surface. This is achieved through a combination of the structural elements, such as beams, columns, and foundations, working together to support the load.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a weight supporting structure?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing a weight supporting structure, including the amount and type of load it will need to support, the materials that will be used, the environmental conditions, and the safety and stability of the structure.

5. How can I ensure the safety of a weight supporting structure?

To ensure the safety of a weight supporting structure, it is important to follow building codes and regulations, perform regular inspections and maintenance, use high-quality materials, and consult with a structural engineer during the design process. It is also crucial to properly train and supervise construction workers to ensure the structure is built correctly.